Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2003 4:06:06 PM EDT
Ok I have a welded on phantom flash suppressor but I would like to install the PRI flip up front site.  Will it pass over the already welded on phantom or am I screwed?  
I realize I will have to cut off the old Front site tower....
anyone please?
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=180981&w=searchPop
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, they are .750. I'm sure Kurt's Kustom could remove the hider, install the PRI and re attach the Phantom.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I can tell you if you'll provide me with 2 pieces of information: the diameter of your Phantom and the diameter of your barrel under the FSB.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have the components in front of me but the barrel is standard M4 profile and the phantom is the newer serrated version:
https://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/brakes/yhm-29.asp
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless the flash suppressor's collar is the same diameter as the barrel itself (haven't seen any like that yet), there's no way a PRI or standard FSB can slip over it.  I assume it's a 14.5" M4 barrel?  If so, it can be a pain in the BEhind to remove it, it could be blind pinned and welded.  If that's the case you'll have to cut open the suppressor, remove the pin first.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#5]
You know, an option would be to hack the top portion of the front sight off so it looks like the Bushmaster shaved front sights that are on their Vmatch rifles. And then install one of their flip front's? Not a PRI, but it will work and save you some trouble- and money.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Hm, you COULD do this:
Shave the tower down, install a RAS, and get a rail mounted flip up front sight from KAC or Troy Industy.  Kind of expensive just to get a flip up front sight, personally I'd keep the front sight unless the little blur on the bottom of your scope bothers you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
If you need to install the PRI front sight on a weld falsh hider M4 barrel, you will have to have the flash hider removed by a reputable gun smith and reweld a new flash hider to rpelace the one from your gun.

Bushmaster drill and pin the flash hider on, so if you remove the current unit, you will have to mill off a portion of the existing flash hider to expose the pin. and once you remove the pin, you will also have to re-tap the thread on the barrel.  This is best performed by a gun smith with the proper tools.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#8]
What you're dealing with now is the #1 reason I am swapping my Bushy 14.5" fluted barrel with older style Phantom for a 16" Wilson mid-length barrel.  Too much trouble, and an extra $90 for Kurt to do the work if I want to add a float tube, or new front sight, etc.

If you still want to go that route, I highly recommend Kurt's Kustom.  That's where my 16" is now... getting turned and fluted.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#9]
You can probably sell your Phantom barrel on the EE and have more money in the long run to buy want you now want.   Save the hassle of all the extra work if you can't do yourself.

I'm contemplating getting the dremel out to GG&G'ize the bottom one, which is a BMP M4/Phantom.  Then I can Vortex it too when I'm done:
[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/SIRvsRAS1.JPG[/img]
We all change our tastes after buying something, then other products are discovered afterwards.

PS - Hello fellow PRK Airsoft brothers...[;)]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Airsoft?  I love Airsoft [:d]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Kisara:
Nice setups.  Which QD front sling swivel is that on your RAS?

Looks like I am going to splurge and just get a new 16" barrel and remove the Front site tower...  oh well.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll answer for Kisara, for I have two QD rail mounted sling adapters: it's a KAC.
Beware!  If you get the barrel from Bushmaster, the front sight base is a pain to remove, I think they use a machine press to install the taper pins, most of us have problems removing the FSB without a big ass hammer and lots of patience.  If you do get it from Bushy, make sure you tell them you want the barrel without the FSB or have them seperate it, since you have no need for the standard FSB anyway if you're gonna use the PRI.
This is what I had to do to TWO of my Bushy barrels, not pretty and frustrating as sh*t.
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid92/pa51e35a58c9dd7960b1acbc8a6ae32f5/fa594031.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#13]
That would make a good Xmas tree ornament.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top