Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/21/2003 3:39:28 PM EDT
I want acuracy for a dcm gun wich is a better twist 1-8 or 1-9 and what bullet stabelizes better in what twist barrel
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:49:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2003 4:53:52 PM EDT by The_Cheat]
Its not so much what the barrel is made of, but how it is made. Hammer forged barrels will be, in theory, more accurate. If you want to be picky about it you can go as far as getting a barrel that has the rifling cut in one pass. Cro-Moly is good if you need a barrel that will last a long time. Chrome lined barrels will last longer, but are not as accurate as standard steel barrels Stainless steel is stronger (I think) than chro-moly, but is also a good conditior of heat, so your barrel will get hotter faster and cool slower. This is one of the reasons that you dont see SS barrels on Mil rifles. I dont know much about CMP barrels I just use a standard SS barrel on my CMP rifle. Never thought twice about it. It gives good 5" at 600 yards. 1:12 to 1:14 twist barrels are perfect for 55 grain bullets 1:9 twist are good for any bullet around 60-70 grains. 1:8 and 1:7 are best for the heaver 75+ grain bullets. As you can see the heaver the bullet weight the tighter the twist of the rifling.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:54:17 AM EDT
75gr is pretty iffy in 1/9 barrels. In some barrels it works, in some it doesn't. I would definitely go with the 1/8 for a DCM gun.
Stainless steel is stronger (I think) than chro-moly, but is also a good conditior of heat, so your barrel will get hotter faster and cool slower. This is one of the reasons that you dont see SS barrels on Mil rifles.
View Quote
I believe the SS isn't as strong when hot as the carbon steels, which is why it's not used in most military barrels (the SPR is stainless IIRC).
Top Top