Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 4:05:02 PM EDT
So seriously:

Howdy, my name is Robby. I used to hunt with an old 30-06, but due to wanting a challenge switched to bow hunting only. I thus had an old 30-06 rifle sitting around. I did some research and found out I had an old military rifle. I fixed it up and for the last two years have been restoring mil-sup bolt action rifles.

My work:
<1917 Springfeild 30-06> <Enfield 303 #4 mk 1*>
http://www.upaboveit.org/_images/forum/rifles_side.JPG

http://www.upaboveit.org/_images/forum/rifles_back.JPG

ANYWAYS.....

I shoot once a month or so and reload my own ammunition. The problem is that it is getting expensive and seems a waste to send a huge bullet downrange for the sake of target shooting. I was looking for cheaper brass for my 303, mine costing around $140 for 500, when I noticed that this "5.56x45mm" brass was only $50. I thought to myself "lucky bastards, i bet they have cheap lead too". The question plagued me so I did some research that landed me here. I had previously thought of upgrading my "pleasure" weapon from the 303 to a M1 or M14, but decided against it. After reading and researching I have came to this conclusion: I need to replace my 303 with a "late" model American gun, preferably semi-auto and having military heritage.

I am looking to buy an AR-15. This firearm will be used for sitting around the house "defending" and being shot at least monthly on the range. I know almost nothing about firearms past ~1930, so can someone clue me in on what I should be shopping for? Is it worth it to home brew one? Any help is appreciated, preemptive thanks!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you looking to shoot long ranges 300+?

Or do you want to bump fire?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you need one of these from Rock River Arms with a chrome-lined barrel.

BTW, nice Eddystone, who was it made by?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

www.rockriverarms.com/images/nbrentry.gif

WIZZO

I'm starting to think I'd like that upper for my Gov't model.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Are you looking to shoot long ranges 300+?

Or do you want to bump fire?

My usual target range is between 100 and 500 yards.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<1917 Springfeild 30-06> <Enfield 303 #4 mk 1*>

black powder guns for black powder cartridges hr

I look into the furture and see my next post:

"So guys... where do you put the ramrod on these AR thingies?!?! My charge won't fit down the barrel!"
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Thundercat
Welcome to the boards.
Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, Rock River, LMT, CMMG....,
there are a lot of good choices out there.
Prowl around the site a bit. There are a lot of guys (and gals)
that are pretty sharp, and know what they are talking about.
You can then make an informed decision.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

www.rockriverarms.com/images/nbrentry.gif

WIZZO

$1000 for a rifle. hat
My 1917 barrel was made by remington, the rest by eddystone. I am still kind of pissed off i used the wrong stain while redo'ing the stock: too much brown, not enough red.

Anyway, thanks for the help so far!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I would suggest you visit the build it yourself forum, since you seem to be handy with guns.
Building, at least partially, an AR-15 is fairly easy.
The build it yourself section has all the instructions you need, and you can build the gun the way YOU want it.
For parts and such, the Equipment exchange has all kinds of good deals...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I think you would do well with a 20" flat top.

Edit:  You seem like an iron sight user, not a scope user, so I would say get a plain-jane 20" AR15 with the standard A2 sights (fixed carry handle).  A lot of people here will try to steer you towards a carbine with lots of expensive options and accessories that you probably won't be interested in or have a need for.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Take a look at this link (click me) for decent prices on RRA rifles.  Thye are very nice, I own 2.  If there is one you want that's not in stock, just check back from time to time and they will get the one you want in.  eagle Firearms is a great place to spend your money.  They are top notch.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Holy hell, I think I found myself a new forum. Thanks for ALL the advice.

You seem like an iron sight user, not a scope user, so I would say get a plain-jane 20" AR15 with the standard A2 sights (fixed carry handle).

Yes i am a fan of iron sights over optics, but would not mind keeping my options open to mount even a 2x optic. I fire from sitting or prone 99.99% of the time... so it's not like I will be kicking in doors and aiming/shooting.

here will be no money saved by getting involved in AR15s. If that is your goal, flee this website and never return.

I work 2 full time jobs, so dropping 1k to get a GOOD firearm is not biggie what-so-ever. I just don't want to spend 1k when a good starter gun can run me $600 and satisfy my firepower lust for ~year.

on that note:
Is it true what i have heard: AR-15's are like Lego’s or 5.0 mustangs, if you want a different setup there are 50 aftermarket parts to choose from?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#14]
There's more than 50.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
There's more than 50.

Try 50 Billion.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#17]
First off, WELCOME!

If the cost of your Ammo is of big concern, 5.56 or 7.62 (308) should be right down your alley.

Look at an AR or poss a M14.

Great first post I might add too, nobody accused you of being a troll!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#18]
There are tons of things you can add to an AR. I would start off with a basic rifle though.

The most important things I think you should consider are
-The barrel. Get a barrel made for what you're doing.
-The controls and features. IE; stock, trigger, sights and such that you like.
-Optics vs. iron sights. If you have any thoughts about getting optics get a flat top.

Besides that, I think you need to go shoot some different configurations before you run off and buy something. I've known a few people that shot one AR and hated it, only to shoot a different set up and love it later.

Search around the whole AR15 section as there's to much info for one man to take in. Just look and search around the site until you think you're ready to make up a general decision. Then go to the Equipment Exchange in the upper right hand corner of your screen as you will find the best prices and be able to get some of the best info from the many generous dealers on this site.

I suggest Rock River as a brand as they make qulaity complete rifles, and cater even more to the people who like to build it themselves. Good luck, and welcome to the dark side.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice.....

I'm a big C&R guy myself, spend most of my time on the C&R forum.  Took me a WHILE before I came to the black rifle, because, well one black rifle costs the same as about 6 C&R surplus rifles.  But I like both, and I like the AK, just got my first Bulgy AK74.  Yes, I have one black rifle, one AK74, and 5 C&Rs.  Buy them ALL!!!

Oh, and if you want to get into the black rifle, build one, it's a lot of fun, and you learn a lot about the rifle, which is always good.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#20]
keep lookin around at your options and see what you like and as you said "lego"one together.get a complete upper and complete lower, a complete barrel assembly that suits your needs, a grip that fits well for the shooting positions you prefer and a fixed stock.if you don't want a "mutt" you can get all of this from one manufacturer.by building you will get a better understanding of the system.it sounds like you are capable of doing this and you will get more out of it than if you just got one off the shelf.then after a while you can mix it up if thats what you desire,unless you got it the first time.have fun, to me it is a never ending cycle of adding to the collection be it parts or another stick to tool around with.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I offered up the entry tactical because it seems to be the hot thing right now.

You can build a plain-jane flattop and a detachable carry handle for $600-$700 for all new parts if you're good with your hands. Building AR's isn't that hard. Spend a little time looking through the tacked threads at the top of the Build It Yourself forum, and you'll pretty much know how to do it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

on that note:
Is it true what i have heard: AR-15's are like Lego’s or 5.0 mustangs, if you want a different setup there are 50 aftermarket parts to choose from?

Thats the beauty of the whole thing
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Robby, speaking as a fellow bolt gun addict (I get an M4 free at the job the underpay me for, so why drop my own money?), I'd suggest a Garand as a bridge gun between bolt guns and the late 20th century. Work into it slowly  

Nice Enfield and M1917, have one of each myself. For a long first shot, I'd take my scoped '03A1 before anything else in my cabinet, including my M4 or M14 at work. It's getting a fast second one at close range where I'd start wanting something semiauto.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#24]
GIVE THOSE RIFLES TO ME.............NOW
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

BINGO... my last hobby was mustangs, and that included a LOW 11 second 93' mustang coupe  with a Twin-turbo kit on it and my new mid-to- high 9' second nitrous true-street car.

These guns are amazing... anything from a 7" kitty-kat upper to a 24" tack-driver, and everthing inbetween.  And the best part is you can do ALL (or 99% with mininal tools yourself) of the work / assembly yourself.  I thought I would be happy with a few  bushmaster guns, but to be honest I have sold all but 2 of those to pay for and replace them with Colt guns.  Of course most of these new Colt guns require a $200 tax stamp to go with them  

And like some of the others have said above, this rifle isnt as popular as it should be because of the initial up front $$$$$.   have a few friends that would LOVE to have one but would rather waste $200 here on an old rifle and $300 there on some crappy pistol instead of getting a GREAT rifle.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Donovan... you got a whole lot of lunch money back in elementary school, huh?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Welcome to the site Robby and welcome to the wonderful world of the AR-15.  All I can say to you at this point is 'BE NOT AFRAID'.  Look upon all that you see in wonder and amazement for that is what the AR-15 platform can bring if you let it.  When you get started with your adventure dont hold yourself set to one particular variant of the AR as you will soon come to find that they all have their benefits and that there is no perfect one setup.  Fear not old boy, 'tis kinda like your bolt action rifles...one just won't do.  My humble suggestion to you would be to buy your first rifle as a complete rifle or possibly buy a complete lower then add the complete upper of your choice.  These suggestions are not to discredit your workmanship or gunsmithing skills but solely to get you shooting quicker.  You see AR's are kinda like crack cocaine, it's an addiction that is hard to break.  So once again I welcome you and say good luck!!!

I hope I see you make many more happy gun related posts,
Wes
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I talked with a buddy who works with me at my EMS service and his advice was to cook my own. I found some local people to squeeze for information over a few beers so, unless someone says something which demands a response, i am planning to let the thread die off.

Thanks for your help everyone! Even if you only spent 30 seconds on your reply, it saves me around 30 minutes of sorting through an OVERWHELMING amount of information.

No worries, the thought provoking post are only begining. The silly ones have yet to start. That is all.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top