Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 1:35:58 AM EDT
It's a grip with a flashilight mounted to it right? Going off their prices however I must be missing somehing.

I see it's got some kind of LED light but maybe I'm just missing why it costs so damn much. My brother wants one and I was thinking about getting it for his Bday but looking at the thing I can't see how ot justify the cost.

what am I missing there?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#1]
low volume
high quality

and drumroll please............
mostly purchased by government agencies
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:59:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I've wanted a surefire for my shotgun. But there's no way in hell i'm paying more for the forearm that i paid for the whole fricken shotgun. That's pure insanity.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:53:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Some folks are buyint the Larue mount shown below, putting a grip and light on it, and using that instead of the SF.  

http://www.laruetactical.com/lt/productImages/Picatinny%20Riser%20detail.jpg

Some benefits are being able to use a LED instead of bulb main light, going offset or in line, being able to go tape or thumb button, adding nav lights, laser, or both or neither.

Downside is that the SF puts the 3 batteries in the grip.  This system does not.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#5]
What you're missing is the costs of development, the costs of cutting a mold, the costs of running a large company.

The tool for the grip probably cost at least 20-30k to have it done right the first time and get it completed in a reasonable amount of time.  Then you have to pay someone to run the tool, produce parts, and make sure its done right.

Have you ever seen the SF's machine shop?  They have several high speed lathes with live tooling.  Those machines are not cheap.

Don't get me wrong, their lights probably cost approx 30-40% of MSRP to produce.  Unfortunately in this evil imperial capitalistic society we live in, people want to make money.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll goout on a limb here...

Has anyone seen, or tried the ALPHA light ..

Looks just like the M900..supposed to have 250 lumens..

Anyone have any experience..$195. on EBAY..
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Remember now, you don't have to pay MSRP!

I'm aware of that.. hell i even went to brownells and checked the discount price. But i'm jus thinking with the price of their lights themselves I dont' get the cost.

I do however realize they're out there to make $$$$$$$ so I can't complain about that.. just seems like alot to me since it'd have to be my money
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

that would bring the selling price up?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Asian airsoft toy gun light copied illegally and sent over.  Its for toy guns.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that would bring the selling price up?

they don't always buy from the lowest bidder
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

[/quote

They are $165 oh red wolfe.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#12]
For $195 how many and how often will they break before they equal the cost of the surefire light?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#13]
First,
Surefire makes Great lights, and I'm an end user of several of their weapon lights.

But when it comes to the M900, I started looking at it like this: I hold the M900 in one hand and it delivers
a blinding beam of 125/225 lumens(same as My M962s which are more configurable) and cost's around $430.

While in My other hand, I hold a Sig sauer P226/Night sights in Excellent condition
which delivers 15+1/20 rounds of 124gr. +P GDHPs that cost me $380 from CDNN.

Maybe I've gone totally bonkers, but I'd rather have another Sig Sauer.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#14]
i have the m900 and its a great light and it fits my hands perfect.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag, cause I want one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:36:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Depends on your application.

If you are going to use it for serious business where it absolutely cannot under any circumstances fail you (besides the spare batts and lamps) then go with a Surefire.

If you are getting it because it's cool or for home defense applications, you could probably get away with the Alpha knock-off.

Kind of like hammers. If your going to hang the occasional picture frame, a cheapy works just fine. If your a serious contractor that needs one for serious pounding and consistent strikes, a higher grade tool is needed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:45:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Depends on your application.

If you are going to use it for serious business where it absolutely cannot under any circumstances fail you (besides the spare batts and lamps) then go with a Surefire.

If you are getting it because it's cool or for home defense applications, you could probably get away with the Alpha knock-off.

Kind of like hammers. If your going to hang the occasional picture frame, a cheapy works just fine. If your a serious contractor that needs one for serious pounding and consistent strikes, a higher grade tool is needed.

if im defending my home i would want something im sure would not crap on me when i need it most.

if you're and airsofter then get the knock-off and go find the airsoft forum
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:43:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
First,
Surefire makes Great lights, and I'm an end user of several of their weapon lights.

But when it comes to the M900, I started looking at it like this: I hold the M900 in one hand and it delivers
a blinding beam of 125/225 lumens(same as My M962s which are more configurable) and cost's around $430.

While in My other hand, I hold a Sig sauer P226/Night sights in Excellent condition
which delivers 15+1/20 rounds of 124gr. +P GDHPs that cost me $380 from CDNN.

Maybe I've gone totally bonkers, but I'd rather have another Sig Sauer.

Thats a new light vs a used gun.  Any way I did it the ARFCOM and bought BOTH! M900a and P226R with NS.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#19]
SUREFIRE M900= Quality and a great warranty from my experience that enough. And for that other light mentioned you get what you pay for
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Pics, they always forget the pics
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#21]
      I've been using the M900 for a while now on my entyry gun...  Can't say enough how much engineering and quality workmanship went into it.   It is a realy nice unit and my department should rest easy cuz' they got their money's worth when they bought it for me..........HEHE.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#24]
It is a great unit. In hindsight I would have gotten the one with knobs instead of arms throwlever.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It is a great unit. In hindsight I would have gotten the one with knobs instead of arms throwlever.

Well well, now you can get a LaRue mount to replace the twin thumb screw mount
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I haven't seen this. Is it the same size? Part #?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top