Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/7/2005 2:16:41 PM EDT
in my long and struggling search for the perfect varmint barrel i constantly hear brand X (insert your favorite brand barrel) will last longer thand brand Y (insert any other barrel). Im talking about stainless steel varmint profile barrels. For instance i never hear bad things about RRA varmint barrels...but at the same time I hear "get a douglas or krieger,shillen,Hart,etc" i realise that these other barrels arnt mass produced such as wilson and will yeld better groups but how does that affect the barrel life? a stainless steel barrel cant be that much different can they?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:41:21 PM EDT
just the metal used, and how hard it is

thats all.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:57:52 PM EDT
In match shooting, chrome moly barrels lose thier grouping slowly; whereas stainless steel will go quickly. Both will shoot about the same number of rounds before needing to be replaced, give or take.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:22:56 PM EDT
ive been told by several people that Wilson Stainless Steel barrels will wear out around 1500 rounds? wheres other stainless steel bigger brand name barrels will around 3000-5000?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:19:49 AM EDT
Barrel life will depend on your loads - shoot heavy bullets with hot loads and your barrel life will be shorter. Full-auto strings will cut heavily into lifetime as well. The longest-lived barrels (accuracy barrels, not chrome-lined) are Kriegers because the groove depth is twice that of any other I've seen. The accurate life of a Krieger in my hands is ~2700 rounds, after which accuracy goes from sub-MOA to 4-6 MOA. I tried a Border and it only lasted ~1300 rounds under the same conditions. I shoot SAAMI-maximum loads os VV N-550 with Hornady 75 gr bullets; others who shoot lighter loads get 2-3 times the life.
Top Top