Posted: 6/18/2014 3:38:42 PM EDT
not mine

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=423053030

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#1]
As we say in aviation: "It'd be a good project for somebody...."
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
looks like it was left in some water? lots of corrosion and rust!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Hot link please??? I'm mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]

ask and receive

it do got the pox, but i'd tackle it if was a freebie.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]
The "previous owner" needs a swift kick in the junk...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
My best guess is lots of exposure to salt water.  For some odd reason guns don't like salt water.  Probably still worth $400-600 for sum of parts as it sits.  A lot of TLC,  probably a new barrel and it could be brought back to decent condition.  Sure is fugly.  Would make a good boat gun as it sits and wouldn't have to worry about messing up something nice.  I'd probably yank the stock assembly,  replace with M-4 or surplus rifle stock assembly and let the good times roll.  Look real good on "Swamp People" in an aligators mouth.  They do handle pretty good one handed with a decent pg.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh hell.  It don't look all that bad.

Now somebody help me find my glasses, please.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I see potential. I added it to my watch list. I'm on the hunt for a Romanian AK kit though, not sure if I can open my wallet wide enough for both.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I kinda like it. Wouldn't be afraid to get that one dirty.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Someone in a ban state could find use for that lower and part-out the rest of the rifle to pay for the lower.  That rusty barrel is a good candidate for and XME2 build (shortening, forging flash & bayo removed, Brick ring & moderator pin-welded) and then a well deserved re-park job.  Come to think of it, that acetate stock could be rescued too.  I'm sure these items won't last long on EE
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Paint stripper would remove the spots. Anyone for a battle field pickup SP1???
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I added it to my "watch list", I'd really enjoy bringing that back to life (for a fair price).

John Thomas
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#13]
NOOOOOO I just got in almost midnight and the link isn't working! Can someone at least describe the carnage i missed?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NOOOOOO I just got in almost midnight and the link isn't working! Can someone at least describe the carnage i missed?
View Quote

It wasn't all that bad really save for the jet black fingerpainting
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#15]
James,  SP-1 carbine.  GB site is down.  Globs of black paint where anodizing was screwed up all over the receivers.  Barrel from FSB forward had a nice I've been living on a shrimp / smugling boat for a couple years look.  Probably same under HG's if actually in salt environment.  Looks to me like typical salt water,  forgot it was on the boat for a month or years,  no maintenance look to it.  Probably someone will use BIN as it was only $800.  Bid was $400ish when I looked at it.  Is definately worth the $800 to someone with an anodizing tank simply as it was original.  Few hours work and it would sell for $1500 plus today more than likely.  Make an easy $100 an hour or more.  Barrel was pitted pretty bad or so it looked.  Hard to fix that.  Gotta send it out for restore and it's probably not worth the $800 IMO.  Those barrels bring $300 plus used today very easily if going restore route.   My guess is it will be purchased in retroland once site comes back up.  Chopped may work fine don't remember if pic under HG's or not.  

It's in my favorites but I have a was NIB 6520 I bought for $800 so it will probably bring more than it's worth to me.  6520 is my nicest Colt and I have only shot it about 100 rds.  Live's in dad's safe.  I check it out once a year or so.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:54:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe a trip into the blast cabinet, and a spray n bake with Norrell's ?  That would pretty it up with not too much effort
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:05:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Just a boat gun (saltwater).  For $800 somebody will part it out an make a little money.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Seen it now... Not awful thanks for the write up cdenmark

Does look like a nice little project for someone tho
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like the stuff Colt used to use to touch up their receivers. You sure it isn't factory?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm seriously considering this, as I live in CT and the lower receiver is worth at least  $600.....Stock assembly $250.00 plus. ETC ETC. If any of you guys are gung ho about this lemme know  so I don't bid you up. JT if you are gonna buy it to restore, I'll bow out gracefully.

ETA: Why did it have to be a carbine...
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I see at least a couple of us are poking at it--including me if the price stays right.
I've wanted an SP1 carbine for a while but haven't wanted to pay market prices.  Would love to have one in restorable condition.

Sure wish I could take a look in person.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#22]
If I had the money and wasn't tied up in another multibazillion dollar .458 Socom project, I'd hit it right now. There's a lot of potential there with a little work.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see at least a couple of us are poking at it--including me if the price stays right.
I've wanted an SP1 carbine for a while but haven't wanted to pay market prices.  Would love to have one in restorable condition.

Sure wish I could take a look in person.
View Quote

I hope it goes to someone here and I hope they have fun restoring it -

Always wanted an SP1 carbine. Not a good time for me tho.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I imagine the internals look at bad as the barrel exterior.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Seller alleges that the bore is good.  If so, a little media blast, a little bondo or JB weld, couple coats of norells or guncote or ceracote or name your own favorite poison, and it could be fairly presentable.  But it only makes sense to me at $800 [and it will probably go for the B-I-N] if a guy can do all that his-own-self, enjoys that sort of thing, or has a compulsion for adopting lost kittens and runt puppies.

Of course, that fairly describes half of Retroland...........
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Condition: Ugly. The previous owner attempted to touch up chips in the anodizing with black paint. This would be a good candidate for hydrographics or reanodizing. That said, it is a real, complete and functional R6001 carbine. Bore, action and stock/handguard are very good.
View Quote

I'd pay $400 tops.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top