Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2013 5:40:33 PM EDT
same as above whos p tac and are they a good company. I see them on palmetto state and am interested.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]
There was an earlier discussion on them that went into the achives.
I will try and find the link.
found the old link:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_301/238917_PTAC_LPK_.html

PSA came out and stated the parts are made in the USA, but nothing further. For what its worth, folks seem to post good reviews on them. I have a couple of the LPK on order and will report back on them when they come in.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#2]
P-Tac is a new start up company, PSA is the only one i know that is selling their parts. PSA did make a statement while back that they are just basic "no frills" parts and they are guaranteed, maybe someone can repost what they said.

I ordered one of the LPKs and had it for about a week. Have not installed them in a lower yet. they seem like they are GTG so far, seems like any other LPK.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I ordered one from them and I am still waiting on the it has shipped email. When I get my hands on it I will give a quick review.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ordered one from them and I am still waiting on the it has shipped email. When I get my hands on it I will give a quick review.
View Quote

Good luck with that.  I don't think that PSA sends shipping confirmation.  All my orders just arrive.  When I look at my account, all my orders are still "processing"; even the ones that I received a month ago.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#5]
My assumption is that the P in ptac stands for Palmetto.

My guess is that its a name they made up to undercut their own prices.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good luck with that.  I don't think that PSA sends shipping confirmation.  All my orders just arrive.  When I look at my account, all my orders are still "processing"; even the ones that I received a month ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm. I have only ordered from them a few times, but they have always sent me a shipping confirmation.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#7]
i bet that ptac is fn stuff that they get right there in columbia
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:00:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's my guess as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:45:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking along the same lines.  House brand for Palmetto similar to AR-Stoner and Midway.  P-tac probably isn't one company; the parts are probably sourced from whatever OEM can make them cheapest.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That's my guess as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's my guess as well.
Pretty sure they referred to it as "Practical Tactical" or something to that effect

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#11]
That thread left me with more questions than answers...and then it got locked.  While I like PSA stuff, they quoted it as "mid level".  I have not used P-tac products, but based on the "you get what you pay for" mantra, I will pay $20 extra for a reputable LPK and such.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That thread left me with more questions than answers...and then it got locked.  While I like PSA stuff, they quoted it as "mid level".  I have not used P-tac products, but based on the "you get what you pay for" mantra, I will pay $20 extra for a reputable LPK and such.
View Quote
yup

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There was an earlier discussion on them that went into the achives.
I will try and find the link.
found the old link:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_301/238917_PTAC_LPK_.html

PSA came out and stated the parts are made in the USA, but nothing further. For what its worth, folks seem to post good reviews on them. I have a couple of the LPK on order and will report back on them when they come in.
View Quote

I'm not too thrilled with the way PSA handled that thread at all .
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I said I would let you all know how it went....

I received two of the PTac kits yesterday from PSA.
The parts are packaged in zip lock plastic bags. Springs, detents and main parts are divided up into several smaller baggies.
The bolt release, magazine catch, selector were packaged separately and had a slightly sticky feeling lube applied to them; probably a preservative oil.

I unpacked everything and looked over all the parts. The steel parts all have a dark black finish that is evenly applied and on par with other LPK I have used from Bushmaster, DPMS and others. The springs and other little parts were all in good condition. The parts all have the same look and feel as more costly kits.

I assembled the LPK into new lower receivers made by JD Machine from San Diego. The installs went along very well.

Using a bit of oil to lightly lube the springs and bearing surfaces, they all went into place without trouble. The roll pins were not too big or too small in diameter, they went in with normal force. A bit of tapping with the brass hammer and drift punch set them in place.

First LPK went with a few stoppages. Once the complete trigger group was in place, I performed a function check. The trigger would not initially release the hammer. I worked the parts back and forth to get the contact surfaces worked in together, using lube to help it along. Working the trigger, I had to use a pin punch to push down the tail of the disconnector to get the hammer free from the trigger. After a few cycles, the trigger and hammer contact points married into place and began working normally. Once they were broken in, I ran full checks again and found that everything had smoothed out- functioning normally.

Second LPK went together fine. The trigger and hammer needed a few cycles to get them worked in (less than the first LPK), then everything checked out well.

The contact surfaces between the hammer & trigger looked flat, bright and lacking any machine marks, basically good looking in appearance. Once put into my lower receivers, they needed a small amount of break in to run normally. I guess the sear surfaces are both on the high side of being closely fitted. This is probably where the cost of the kit comes into play, possibly a bit less time spent on final grinding/fitting of the trigger & hammer areas.

I am satisfied with the kits. I went to the PSA website to order a few more, but they are listed as out of stock. I would have no complaints in using this LPK in my next builds.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Snip
View Quote

Did you clean and relube the parts before installing?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip

Yep. Hit them with CLP and toothbrush, sticky feel easily wiped away.

As a rule, I add a drop of oil on the springs, contact surfaces as I go along.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I received my PTAC LPK and also a PSA LPK that came as the Blemish Lower + LPK package deal. I open both packs and compare individual parts side by side, can not tell difference between the two. The only difference to me is PSA LPK comes with a PSA paper box and PTAK is just in plastic zip bag, same as what PSA has inside the paper box. The paper box may worth the $20 difference.

They had PTAC upper on sale couple days ago for $319, with the lower and LPK and a Black Hawk stock, I can put together a $450 AR M4! May not be the best rifle out there but can not complaint the price.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah I got my lpk and damn if I can tell any difference in any other brand.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#19]
the Ptac package sounds like all the other LPK's i have bought from them in the past.... packaged in zip lock bags and with preservative oil...
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm tempted to pickup a ptac upper to go along with my blem PSA lower. Been all about building cheap rifles lately.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top