Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/20/2005 1:37:08 PM EDT
I have an A2 upper with the raised marking "M" on the carry handle near the rear sight where you would traditionally see "C M " on a Colt. This receiver however, has only the "M" and no diamond above the "M"

In my archive reasearch, I came across the following response by Troy, which suggests a possible answer:

With the exception of some of the early Colt forgings, the upper markings are meaningless. They are die markings added by the aluminum forging makers who make the raw forgings. These forgings are then sold to many of the AR manufacturers, who machine them and finish them. Since the manufacturers don't add any additional markings, there's no good way to determine who the manufacturer is. Recently, folks here have found the same forge die markings (from several different forging companies) on uppers and carry handles from Colt, Bushmaster, Olympic, and DPMS. The source of the raw forgings really doesn't matter. What matters is the machining and finishing, and the only way to know for sure who did that work is to buy direct from the factory, or to buy a complete factory gun. If manufacturers would only stamp their name on their uppers... -Troy

That makes perfect sense and is a good answer. Logic is useful in the absence of certain fact and would lead one to believe that Martin Marietta provided the raw forging to some unidentified manufacturer.......but I'm really curious

Does anyone out there know anything about this single "M" marking?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:38:41 PM EDT
I've seen them before like this and when I looked at a couple closely, you could see some light filing/machining marks where you would think a "C" may have been. I'd guess it's a demilled receiver, but that's just my SWAG.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:49:05 PM EDT
Mongo,
Yiou are the man! You are right on the money. I took some paint remover and went over the area that had been painted. Sure enough, there is something that had been filed off above and left to the "M". So, it's either LM or CM.
Who would file it off and why would they would file it off?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:30:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bangz:
Mongo,
Yiou are the man! You are right on the money. I took some paint remover and went over the area that had been painted. Sure enough, there is something that had been filed off above and left to the "M". So, it's either LM or CM.
Who would file it off and why would they would file it off?

It may be a standard demill process or it might be somebody hiding something they "found" at work.
Top Top