Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 11:46:50 AM EDT
im thinking about a 6.8 spc upper/rifle. who has a dpms? what do you think?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you given some thought to a gas piston 6.8 SPC upper?  The general consensus seems to be that 6.8 SPC is more problematic in the direct impingement uppers.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Have you given some thought to a gas piston 6.8 SPC upper?  The general consensus seems to be that 6.8 SPC is more problematic in the direct impingement uppers.

Just a thought.

Really?  Site your source and follow on information.  Brought that info up here and allowed any other discussion?  Seems to me that there are quite a few 6.8 uppers in circulation and there are VERY FEW problems reported, and those that are are related to M1S chrome lined barrels and pressure problems related to improper bore land/groove dimensions, NOT the cartridge choice.

Back on topic:  I have a DPMS 6.8 upper.  Typical DPMS upper.  Works great, eats everything I feed it, and shoots about 1.5 MOA with my handloads, about 2MOA with commercial loads.  Never has failed to feed, function, or extract.  I like it, but I'm gonna upgrade to a stainless steel barrel and M4 feedramps with an AR15barrels.com build.

Tom  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
My 6.8 is a DPMS hybrid.  The barrel, bolt and A3 UR are DPMS but the gas block/FU front sight is YHM and the forend is a 9.5 DD.  I had a bit of a problem getting mine to run at first.  The barrel I used is the A4 and I could not get it to feed; gas trouble.  After I opened up the gas port .006 inch (at .003 inch larger it wanted to run but would still short-stroke once in a while) it started feeding OK unless it jamed, ramming the bullet into the front of the upper right below the feed ramp.  This happened  maybe 1 out of 10 times and always with the left cartridge and feed ramp.  That problem was traced back to the left feed lip on all three of my PRI/DPMS mags which I had to bend up slightly so the bullet would rise up just a hair higher.  Since doing that it has run perfectly but also since then I have not put more than just a few mag fulls through it.  It needs more flawless testing before I am ready to call it "cured."  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Gee, I haven't heard any problems about Barrett and MSTN impingement uppers being hammered full auto...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:13:23 AM EDT
[#5]
i was thinking about a 6.8 for deer hunting. i am basically deciding to either buy the whole remington rifle, or maybe a new upper/ whole ar-15. im going to do some more research reguardless. if i do get the ar-15 version, i want a flattop, with about a 18 inch barrel, and no sights. if i want sights later, ill get flip up sights. its mainly for deer hunting.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#6]
i have a dpms 6.8 upper. no complaints.

light and carbine length it would make a nice 300yrd capable deer rifle for hunting on the move.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm looking for a DPMS 6.8. They don't have it on the website, or maybe I couldn't find it. Does anyone have a source for these uppers, DPMS or otherwise. They seem to be scarce in terms of manufactures. Thanks for the help guys!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#8]
midway has them.

dpms has the 6.8 stuff here

www.dpmsinc.com/10Browse.asp?catID=1246
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#9]
CMMG has a 16" upper in 6.8.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cart=278564&cat=1&

Orderd mine on a sunday night had it by thurdays. No problems at the range. Very happy with my purchase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top