Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/31/2003 4:00:49 PM EDT
when i first got this bushmaster uppper it was black in side. i decided to swab it out with breakfree clp. i patched dried it dry then i lubed it with castrol synthetic gun lube. after a few days there looked like a white film in there. i took a patch and rubbed it and it started comming off. so i did the whole iterior and now it's black again. could this have been a reaction between the clp and castrol lube? the castrol is really slick, i like it, but if it reacts with the cleaner i use then i don't know.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds likely.  Maybe the Castrol is causing the Teflon in the BF or maybe deposited by the BF to (essentially) precipitate out.

Easy to find out – mix a small amount of the two in a bottle cap or such and see what happens.

As a general rule, mixing fluids – especially from different manufacturers – is not a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:10:17 AM EDT
[#2]
on the mixing of chemicals a wise sage once said:

Little Billy Baxter didn't what he oughter

He added water to the acid,

stead of acid to the water.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top