Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/17/2005 4:07:43 PM EDT
an Aimpoint or a 1.5-5x scope?

The rifle will be used as a hog gun mostly so ranges will vary from 25yards out to a max of 200.

I already have both optics but just trying to figure out which to use on the dissy i just build and which to save for the .458
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:58:47 PM EDT
Bad,

That is a tough one, based on the information that you provided. The issue with the 458 at 200 yards is that you are looking at kentucky windage with the aimpoint, depending on how you have it zeroed. You did not mention whether or not your scope has a reticle that has multiple hash marks or easily adjusted turrets. I guess the way I would approach this is to look at the ballistics of the 458 in your barrel length and load, and make the decision based on the likely range that you will be shooting, and your comfort level using holdover. 25 to 200 yards is a fair amount of drop for the 458, on a hog sized boiler room. Clearly the scope would give you the edge at distance, and the dot would give you speed up closer.

I have not chased hogs with my 458, just deer and antelope. I opted for a scope most of the time out, but if I were chasing bear (the closet thing that we have to hogs in NM), I think I would opt for the red dot for speed, as I would certainly pass on a 200 yard shot. The other option that you might look at is to use a BUIS with the red dot, and zero the dot a bit further out, and use the irons up close. Another option would be to look into the magnifier available for the Aimpoint, in the quick release rings (fold over rings). This would at least give you a better sight picture for holdover at langer distance. Where I am am at now is a good variable power scope in reasonably quick release rings, with multiple lines on my reticle. I can still dial in clicks if needed. I will only use the Aimpoint if I reasonably think that the shots will be close or fast. Depends on where I am hunting.

Craig
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:35:03 PM EDT
I'd say Aimpoint.

Just make sure you know where your secondary (I'm not sure of the correct terminology) zero is. I'm talking about how you obviously zero up close when the bullet is still rising in relation to your line of sight, it will also come back down and cross that same line of sight at a further distance.

Know what I mean?

Like I said, just make sure you know at what range your bullet is going to be zeroed at distance because the Aimpoint should be good to go within the distance you said.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:44:45 AM EDT
I use an Aimpoint on my .458 for exactly this purpose and it works fine. I hunt mainly in heavily wooded areas so range is never over 100 yards or so though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:45:20 AM EDT
i have an aimpoint on my beowulf and think its great for the speed

dont plan on long distance shots though
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:49:40 AM EDT
the 1.5 is a simmons prodiamond. And I think I'll just try both out and see which one i like better. My eyes are kind of shitty and i like some magnification
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:17:04 AM EDT
I think that a lot of folks who hunt with their AR and use optics would agree that magnification is not absolutely necessary to hit something within your ranges, but it sure is NICE to see up close what the results of the shot were. From the bench, I always loose sight of my target. In the field, I always can see what happened with the shot on game. Must be the rush and adrenalin, or just the concentration. Good luck with the choice, it's actually a lot of fun working out the details.

Craig
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:40:19 AM EDT
Oh i know, i'm building the .458 because I had a perfectly good optic laying around
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:50:36 AM EDT
Will be facing the same dilema soon...

Kinda moving toward the aimpoint and magnifier

Whatever I decide...it will have beaucoup eye relief
Top Top