Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2003 11:29:19 AM EDT
I am looking for a vertical foregrip that will work on a  SIR, is solid and quick on/off.

Been reading some of the other posts about these, and a lot of the VG that have the bolt that screws up through the center to tighten the grip on the rail don't tighten completely because the SIR rail and some of the others are relieved down the center.

The dieter(sp) grip is an awesome grip and would work, but even that grip is not quick on/off and besides I can not jusify $100. for a VG.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#1]
i was hesitant about the Dieter at first. It's nice, but $100 *is* a lot of money for a grip. i took a chance, it seemed like there'd be enough interest that i could sell it in the EE if i didn't like it.

Now having used it, spending $40-60 on a plastic grip seems like a huge waste of money to me.

Yes, the Dieter was expensive, but i don't regret it. Bombproof construction.

Would be nice to see something with throw levers, but i believe Wes had said that at least the Dieter wasn't coming with them in the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#2]
you could wait for the new vertical grip from tangodownllc, who make the battlegrip.
it's going to be made of the same sort of material as their battlegrip (it's not going to break), quick detach (no tools needed), fit all rails (SIR, RIS etc), have storage and a pressure pad mounting space.  it's a couple of months off tho.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Militarymoron
Do you have any other info on the TD VG?
Will it be a pistol grip style or a "peg" style? I know ARMS makes a pistol grip style that will fit the SIR and I even think it might be QD, but I really would like to get a "peg" style. I've seen them made out of aluminun with a rubber coating on the grip. But, I am not sure if these would mount solid to a SIR.

I am sure there must be others out there who have mounted this type of VG to their SIR without any mods.

I was all set to get the KAC grip and then I read a post about having to make a mod to get it to mount solid.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#4]
m4bangr,
it's going to be 'peg' style, not pistol grip style.  there was another thread about mounting a VG on a SIR.  i currently have the KAC on my SIR, but i had to put a couple of small plastic pieces across the rails so that the KAC grip wouldn't slide back and forth along the channel (which the RIS/RAS doesn't have).
the ARMS VG has their usual QD throw-lever mount.
the tangodown VG will be slightly larger than the KAC for better grip (some have complained the KAC is too skinny), and will also have a non-slip texture (the KAC is smooth, except for the grooves at the bottom).

cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:24:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Ergo.
Hands down...fits me perfect. Stays nice and tight on the rail, can be removed easily and far more ergonomic than a broom handle.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does anyone find that their all metal forward grips get HOT in the sun??? I went with the KAC forward grip just for that reason...
C4
View Quote

plus a metal grip acts as a heat sink, and transmits any heat from any metal rail (if you're not using an SIR) to your hand.  if you're wearing gloves, then it's not a prob, but not everyone wears gloves when they're shooting.  
cheers!
MM
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#8]
militarymoron
Thanks for all the good info., guess I'll just have to wait for the Tangodown grip. I HATE TO WAIT!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#9]
haha, me too bro. but remember - 'all good things come to those who wait' [:P]

cheers!
MM
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I love my Dieter/SIR/Surefire setup. Damn near perfect.

Why the need for a quick detach? I'm having trouble finding a reason why one would want that feature in a VG, especially if you are mounting a pressure pad/tape switch to it.

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why the need for a quick detach? I'm having trouble finding a reason why one would want that feature in a VG, especially if you are mounting a pressure pad/tape switch to it.
View Quote

personally - one word: convenience. it may not be exactly the same example as a QD scope or optics, but if possible, i'd like ALL my accessories (flashlights, laser, grip, whatever) to be able to taken on and off without the need for a tool.  just my personal preference :-)
another reason is that sometimes i may not be lucky enough to have multiple accessories to fit ALL my uppers, so i swap them out back and forth.  it's just easier and faster with a QD feature.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Had the Dieter...hated it...went back to the Knight's grip...well AAC's version of it...no tools, off/on in seconds....no finish to rub off.

Just my opinion....
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Take a look at this

[url]http://www.sogarmory.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=101452[/url]

Looks like it is Knights based but made of graphite, very interesting.

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Too late for me!

I foolishly mounted a Knight's grip onto a Fobus M33 handguard, which is also open all the way up the middle, giving the peg nothing to grab onto.

Has anyone figured out a fix for this?  My only other option would seem to be going to a standard set of handguards and bolting the GG&G accessory rail under the bottom handguard.

Help!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got a Knight's vertical foregrip that's just sitting around.  I don't need it.  It's used, shows some rubbin' where rubbin' should be found - on the rail slide, etc.  But otherwise functions just fine!

I'll part with it for a decent USGI mag or something else.  Let me know!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Hokie,
Id be interested in trading a USGI mag for your knights vfg
IM me or email
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I foolishly mounted a Knight's grip onto a Fobus M33 handguard, which is also open all the way up the middle, giving the peg nothing to grab onto.
Has anyone figured out a fix for this?
Help!
View Quote

tango27, i had the same prob when i put a KAC grip on the SIR which has the center channel open too.  i fixed it by cutting a couple of short lengths of plastic tie-strap (about 3/4" long, and .2" wide) that i placed across the channel, one in front and one behind the peg, spanning the rail.  i slid the grip over the plastic 'inserts' and tighened the peg down.  the plastic laying across the rails prevent the peg from fwd or aft movement.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Anybody else mount a "peg" style vertical grip to a SIR? What make of grip was it and is it solid without having to jury rig it?
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Bushmaster grip that will twist to lock on the rail.

[img]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/Images/yhm-9400-small.jpg[/img]

they also sell one that folds.

[img]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/Images/yhm-9560.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#20]

MM, a late thanks!

I'll give that a try.  The plastic is stiff enough to not flex if the peg hits it?  Great!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

MM, a late thanks!

I'll give that a try.  The plastic is stiff enough to not flex if the peg hits it?  Great!
View Quote

no prob! as long as the plastic closely fills the cross rails, it's got no where to go or flex very much.  it's captured on all 4 sides.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I was looking at the #3 rail on the bottom of my SIR. It does have some flat spots on it, so I'm wondering if I mount a KAC grip so that the center locking screw in the grip makes contact with one of the flat spots, I should be able to tighten it down pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was looking at the #3 rail on the bottom of my SIR. It does have some flat spots on it, so I'm wondering if I mount a KAC grip so that the center locking screw in the grip makes contact with one of the flat spots, I should be able to tighten it down pretty good.
View Quote

even if tightened down, the KAC will still be able to slide back and forth as the pin moves in those flat spots. i tried it, and given a good shove, the grip will move.
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I've seen vertical grips that tighten to the rail with a pinch type attachment that tighten with a allen screw. Although this would not be considered QD and you would need to keep an allen wrench handy for removal/attach, I guess it would work out OK.

COME ON TANGODOWN !!!!
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top