Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 9:46:33 AM EDT
I've done a pretty good internet search with very limited results.  The only place I can find them is at AR15 barrels.com which I don't have a problem with buying from.  But if someonee else sold them also, maybe I could do some one-stop shopping instead of paying shipping for half a dozen different items from half a dozen different places.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#1]
What shims are you talking about for the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

He's talking about shims that fit behind the barrel nut. 99% of the time they are not needed. I'd only use them if I couldn't get my barrel nut indexed between 30 and 80 pounds.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's talking about shims that fit behind the barrel nut. 99% of the time they are not needed. I'd only use them if I couldn't get my barrel nut indexed between 30 and 80 pounds.

I think he's talking about indexing shims for a flash hider or muzzle brake. Never heard of using shims with a barrel nut.

You can get indexing shims from Brownells and a few other places.  Anyone that makes a brake usually has these available for fitting their brake to your barrel.  Many brakes come with a set too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he's talking about indexing shims for a flash hider or muzzle brake. Never heard of using shims with a barrel nut.

www.ar15barrels.com/data/barrel-nut-index.pdf
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#5]
No, he is trying to sight in his gun and the sandbags just are a little too low...

I use these:

They will last a LONG time
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.ar15barrels.com/data/barrel-nut-index.pdf

Well I learned something today.  Not sure I'd use shims to solve that problem, just get another barrel nut that works better, but good to know.  Thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's talking about shims that fit behind the barrel nut.

Just FYI, you don't want to put those shims behind the barrel nut, if you do they will spin and crunch up like aluminum foil. You want to put them on the other side of the barrel extension flange, the side with the indexing pin, you must remove a 1/16" slice from the shim so that it fits around the index pin.

Those are the current instructions that Randall gave me.

BTW, be careful with those shims because they are THIN.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#8]
In 24 years of playing with AR15s, I have never heard of needing shims to align the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Nope.  Barrel nut shims or gas tube timing shims; whatever you want to call them.  
Have a varmint barrel and I don't care to put an assload of torque on the reciever to get it to time for the gas tube to go in.   It'll take 80+ ft.lbs to get it to except the tube and less than hand tight for the other way.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nope.  Barrel nut shims or gas tube timing shims; whatever you want to call them.  
Have a varmint barrel and I don't care to put an assload of torque on the reciever to get it to time for the gas tube to go in.   It'll take 80+ ft.lbs to get it to except the tube and less than hand tight for the other way.  

While I hadn't heard of this either until now, I would definitely just get yourself a new barrel nut.  Less hassle, probably cheaper and I cannot imagine a barrel shim doing anything neutral or positve for accuracy.  You don't want to try to make an improperly fitting barrel work, just get one that fits properly.  They're too cheap to bother with this method.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Just experimenting.  Using a LaRue rail with the LaRue barrel nut; getting another I imagine would be iffy at best I'm thinking.  Read the thread about the DMRs and thought this might be a good thing.  The barrel fits fine, it's the loose torque or high torque that has me doubting if I could be getting a little more accuracy out of it.  Right now, it's 85 ft.lbs to get the barrel nut to line up for the gas tube; 30 ft. lbs puts the gas tube web right in the middle of where you don't want it.  Did the 3 torque & unscrew sequences before going for the final line-up first off btw.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top