Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2005 9:58:56 AM EDT
I recently aquired an aged SP1 that seems a little loose for my taste between the upper and lower.  The front take-down pin seems to be what is loose.  Wondering if anyone sells replacements, or if I have to order one from colt.  thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=LR-CP

www.specializedarmament.com/

Doubt it will help. mine was loose new.

did you try either of these pins?

I ordered the .315" pushpin version from Brownell's, might as well give it a shot, was $13.50.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Never tried  any other brand pins except one of those with the one ball bearing in it and it was looser.
KNS makes one with a release button and two or three bearings on it. And there is one out that has a sling attachment also.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Never tried  any other brand pins except one of those with the one ball bearing in it and it was looser.
KNS makes one with a release button and two or three bearings on it. And there is one out that has a sling attachment also.

that's the one I ordered, KNS, we'll let you know how it works.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Works good, but it is unlikely to solve your problem.  If you have the original two screw head pin in your rifle right now, and the thing is loose, it's unlikely that the steel pin wore.  Far more likely that the holes in the upper and lower became enlarged over time. Ditto on any side to side looseness.

On the other hand, ARs and M16s have developed loose front hinges since day one, and still worked and shot just fine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Works good, but it is unlikely to solve your problem.  If you have the original two screw head pin in your rifle right now, and the thing is loose, it's unlikely that the steel pin wore.  Far more likely that the holes in the upper and lower became enlarged over time. Ditto on any side to side looseness.

On the other hand, ARs and M16s have developed loose front hinges since day one, and still worked and shot just fine.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I figured the pin may not make a difference, but I realized I need it anyway.  This is the first colt I've owned and holding one screw with a tool, while unscrewing the other just to take the upper off is a pain, and since I always seperate the upper from the lower when cleaning, thought it would make life easier.

the seller said it kept tight groups the last time he shot it, I checked it again last night and realized it actually wasn't as bad as I made it out (the looseness).  But it's more loose than the DoubleStar/M16A1 upper build I put together recently, but that can be expected.  Gonna take it out today, will post pics and a range report, guess we can go from there if the accuracy isn't any good.

-mark
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top