Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2007 4:15:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 5:17:33 PM EST by ar15ryan]
how old is the approx. age to let your kids start shooting ?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:15:06 PM EST
Well, mine done killed a bear when he was 3.............

Actually, Grandpa gave him a .22 when he was 4 and I let him start shooting it when he turned 5. I locked it in a rest that allowed just enough movement to miss the target.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:27:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/24/2007 6:12:15 AM EST by oddthomas]
7 years old. This is my daughter shooting last weekend. What I find amazing (and embarassing) is that she is one hell of a shot. My doctor friend said it was from growing up on video games. I mean, I'm seriously embarassed when I see her nail a 0.5" spinning target at 50 yards. I guess I just suck. She still has problems closing her left eye to look through a scope, even with the EoTech but we're working on it.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:27:45 PM EST
My youngest son showed some interest at age 8, but then got dis-interested at age 11. So far he shoots just the .22. Hopefully he will show some interest again, I would rather not push him toward it.

My older son loves the M-1 Garand I gave him, what a joy to be able to pass that down to the next generation.

One daughter was happy to receive the M1 Carbine that was saved for her, still holding on to a carbine for the other daughter.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:35:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 6:38:14 PM EST by Gimme_A_Carbine]
I learned to shoot at the age of four in my grandfather's rural back yard in southern France. It was with a suppressed .22 that his father used to kill Nazis in WWII. After that here in the States, around the same age I started shooting a Ruger Single Six. My father would sit on the ground and have me sit between his legs. I held the pistol, and he maintained a grasp around my hands (to make sure the weapon was in control). I was afforded the ability to do all the aiming, cocking and firing. I was hooked from an early age.

Even at my young age, I was taught that firearms were not toys and that they had the potential to be very dangerous if handled irresponsibly.

I'm not here to say any method is right or wrong, and I most certainly am not doing that, but why try to make a new shooter close an eye to shoot, especially if they shoot well boths eyes opened. Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:42:22 PM EST
my dad first took me to te range when i was about 4...i sat there all day and watched the cops train, then at the end of the day, i got to shoot alite with my dads back up piece, 38 special snubnose . which i just happened to be buying, once i get my damned permit approved....3 months and waiting
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:45:18 PM EST
I've let my 3yr old pull the trigger on my 12GA and my AR15, and have started showing him some basic gun safety using a cheap BB gun and some really cheap air soft guns. He'll probably be four or five before he starts to get to where he can shoot some on his own, but he's definately interested. He sat and watched while I cleaned my AR, shotgun, and two pistols! LOL gk
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:46:29 PM EST
I started my non-biological son at age 9. My youngest is now 6, but he needs a few more years of maturity before I let him shoot a rifle or pistol.

Now, he does shoot airsoft with me in the yard. Single shot, cock and shoot. He has a short attention span (about ten minutes before wanting to do something else) so we do it a couple of times a week, my schedule permitting.

It's also hard for him to load the magazines. He will shoot longer if Daddy loads up for him!!! Little shit.

He has damn good aim (must be the video games). He shot his Mom (my wife) in the butt with a rubber band tommy gun. Six shots. fast as hell. I was impressed, but Momma was pissed. It was a gift from a fellow LEO. It almost was inserted into someplace very private. Damn Irish women, no sense of humor.

He did have the talk about not shooting people and animals with it. He shoots soda cans and his GI Joes with it. Need to get him another one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:11:13 PM EST
I got my son a single shot 22 for Christmas a year ago when he was 5 1/2. My father also gave me my first 22 when I was six.

A couple of weeks ago at our Deer Lease he asked to shoot my 6.8. I was suprised how good he shot it (from a bench rest). He is 6 1/2 now so I am thinking about putting together a AR for him next year.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:48:19 AM EST
my son started with a red ryder at 4 ...
got him an AR-7at 6 ...
and he shot my ar off the bipod last weekend ...

he showed me he could use and understand all the functions of the gun every evening for a month prior to loading his first clip ...

good job boy
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:01:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/24/2007 4:03:40 AM EST by oddthomas]

Originally Posted By Gimme_A_Carbine:
I learned to shoot at the age of four in my grandfather's rural back yard in southern France. It was with a suppressed .22 that his father used to kill Nazis in WWII. After that here in the States, around the same age I started shooting a Ruger Single Six. My father would sit on the ground and have me sit between his legs. I held the pistol, and he maintained a grasp around my hands (to make sure the weapon was in control). I was afforded the ability to do all the aiming, cocking and firing. I was hooked from an early age.

Even at my young age, I was taught that firearms were not toys and that they had the potential to be very dangerous if handled irresponsibly.

I'm not here to say any method is right or wrong, and I most certainly am not doing that, but why try to make a new shooter close an eye to shoot, especially if they shoot well boths eyes opened. Just curious.
That's a good question and I'm not sure why I should care with her. Come to think of it, if it works for her and doesn't hurt her aim I guess there isn't any reason to not let her do it her way.

She wanted to shoot for a while with Daddy but I wouldn't let her until she could recite the first 4 NRA safety rules, write them down by memory and clean her 10/22 by herself. At that point I felt confident enough that she wouldn't be a safety risk to herself or others. To illustrate what kinetic energy is, I had her shoot several unopened coke cans with the AR and they tend to violently explode when hit. She quickly got the idea of what a round would do to someone that helped to underscore the danger of an AD or ND. She loves the whole thing and it's something that just her and Daddy do which makes it nice.

LOL, Mom just wants us to use a cleaner range!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:15:57 AM EST
My daughter learned to shoot a 22 cal pistol at the age of 9.
She is now 14 and has shot 9mm, 44 mag DE, 45 cal in pistols and 22 cal and my Ak47 in rifles. For now she has lost interest in firearms, but knows that firearms are not a toy and knows the rules of safety.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:56:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/24/2007 4:57:43 AM EST by topgunz1]
I started off with BB guns in the backyard hunting coke cans, around 8 or 9. I would go dove hunting with my dad and be his bird dog and he would teach me about safety. Dont remember how old I was when I started hunting too around middle school probably, but it was with a bolt action .410, a few years of that I stepped up to a Remington 1187 20gauge we borrowed from an uncle, wish I still had that gun. Took many a dove before we sold our land, havent hunted since.

I didnt shoot for years, got myself back into firearms when I became an LEO.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:32:23 AM EST
My grandfather was a Michigan small town police officer. I had great respect for him. We lived in Chicago, so guns weren't all that available, and I only got exposure to them when visiting him. That said...

My grandfather put a .22LR Marlin in my hands when I was 6.
Then a .38 snub nose when I was 10.
And finally a 12ga 870 Wingmaster when I was 12. (which btw, put me on my ass)

I believe that was the right course for my maturity level and stature.

You adjust as you see fit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:35:43 AM EST
My two boys started shooting one was 6 and the other one was 4 y/o, with just .22 LR rifles.

The younger one actually shoots better and followed safety procedures closer than his older brother, I'm going to start them with the centerfire when they're about 12 - 13 next year.

I also taught my nephews and niece when they're about that same age and now they're all adults and they're still shooting.

My father taught me to shoot his .22 LR bolt action rifle when I was 5 y/o and my dad was a good shot when he was younger, he's a WWII veteran from the US Army 11th Airborne and saw lots of action at the end of the war in the Philippine islands.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:45:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/24/2007 7:47:12 AM EST by NavajoGunOwner]
My boy started around 7 to really do some marksman stuff. , mainly due to not really having access until we moved out west.

I didn't have the move to pay range fees for everyone back east.

They all shot weapons by 4 years old.

I had my first .22 at 5 years old and I remeber carrying it when I was 7 when we would go hiking.

His Mom's marlin 60ss hiting bowling pins at 50 yeards. He just started using a scope and really loves it. His normal rifle is a 10/22 for which he earns rounds by doing chores.

All my kids have shot .357, 20 gauge shots, 30-30 and 30-06, they have tried my 9mm Corbray but don't like the trigger slap.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:12:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/24/2007 8:13:37 AM EST by coyotesilencer]
I shot my first gun when I was 4years old. My dad took me out, and would hold a Ruger MKI in his hands with my hands under his so I could pull the trigger/aim, and he would have control of the gun to keep it pointed in a safe direction. I got my fist .22 rifle when I was 8, after years of shooting my dads, I finally got my own.

I think young kids should start off with a scope, to make it easy for them to hit targets, and not become frustrated, and loose interest in shooting/guns.

My cousin was shooting when he was 2, and could fire a 12g benelli semi by himself when he was 5! He loves shooting 1gal jugs from about 25yds.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:47:22 AM EST
both my daughter and my wife can outshoot me , its a femail thing i think - able to concentrate and talk at the same time [to at least three diferent people] , im not sure you wanther closing the other eye with the eotech BTW
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:27:02 AM EST
Immediately. If they can squeeze the trigger, let them have a go at it.
Top Top