Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 6:18:32 PM EDT
Going to look at some LC tommorow.  what was the last year it was produced?  how old is still considered good for SHTF?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure, but I think it was yesterday or today.

LC makes ammo for the mil, but I don't know when the last batch was let out for civilians.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm not sure, but I think it was yesterday or today.

LC makes ammo for the mil, but I don't know when the last batch was let out for civilians.

+1, and I hear it's good stuff.    OK, it is good stuff and I love my M855!!!  Also have a case of XM193 I haven't even tried yet.  And I believe LC is still being made as I type this...  I think if it was stored properly I would rely on any age LC ammo, just my opinion based on what little I know.

ETA: I am not talking about PD, that is for training use only and I will pass, too many other options here.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Going to look at some LC tommorow.  what was the last year it was produced?  how old is still considered good for SHTF?

they made some today, they may be making some right now, i guess it depends what shift is working and what caliber they are working on right now.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone know how many rounds they make a day out of curiousity?  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Does anyone know how many rounds they make a day out of curiousity?  

I think this was from 1999
ATK will produce approximately 350 million rounds of small-caliber ammunition annually at Lake City, consisting of 5.56mm, 7.62mm, .30-caliber, and .50-caliber cartridges. Federal Cartridge Company of Anoka, Minn. will provide technical and production assistance in support of the contract.

I bet they could ramp up their production if needed.  Probably did since 1999 but I have no numbers for later years.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
i shot 1,000 rds of LC  yesterday    M193          1968 year of production....   no missfires,   still accurate
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:57:04 AM EDT
[#7]
1987 is clearly the answer to this question!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
1987 is clearly the answer to this question!

I thought that 87 would be posted within the first five replies.  I lost the 87 pool this time
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry, B!  I'm a little slow at catching silly questions lately!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
LC's current goal is around 800,000,000 rounds of small-arms ammo per year.  Unfortunately, this isn't even 2/3 of the military's projected need, which is why Winchester/Olin was given a secondary contract for something like 270,000,000 additional rounds.  Projected need is around 1.45 Billion rounds/year.

-Troy

With those kinds of figures the US could kill everyone in the world in ~6 years with a shot between the eyes.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunely, most troops are not capable of making head shots every time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

There's a lot of scumbags out there that don't deserve a headshot- center mass will do just fine.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
LC's current goal is around 800,000,000 rounds of small-arms ammo per year.  Unfortunately, this isn't even 2/3 of the military's projected need, which is why Winchester/Olin was given a secondary contract for something like 270,000,000 additional rounds.  Projected need is around 1.45 Billion rounds/year.
-Troy

Lake City is up to about 1.3B rounds per year currently and will have a capacity of 1.5B/year by the end of this month.  The 1.3 B/year is all type small arms, 5.56mm, 7.62mm, and .50 cal and in many types: ball, tracer, blank, linked, etc.  That's about three and a half million rounds a day.  The majority of this is used in training.

The second source small caliber ammunition contract was awarded to General Dynanics Ordnance and Tactical Systems, of which Olin-Winchester is a partner.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What do you base this assertion on?  What ranges, etc.?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about a fire fight at any range.  Anyone here capable of making a head shot every time while taking fire?  I think not.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about a fire fight at any range.  Anyone here capable of making a head shot every time while taking fire?  I think not.

Most of us folks who are in the military can't shot anyway!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top