Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2010 8:00:25 PM EDT
Hey all i was wondering whats hte best ammo for self-defense for the Ar15? I currently have all my mags filled with Lake City 55gr FMj from 09, also i have some PPU 55gr FMJBT bullets i was wondering which ones would fragment the best? any information would be helpful since this is the most prestigious Ar forum.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Read through the tacked threads and you'll probably get most of the answers you seek. I would read for hours on end and I still reference the tacked threads in all the sub forums when I forget things from time to time..Here's one for your current question..

ammo FAQ

There's also a ammunition forum if you need anything else specific..
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
in my opinion, at 2800 fps it really doesn't matter. Anything flying that fast is gonna stop an intruder. Or at the very least hurt really really bad.

There are tons of ballistic material out there to read as to which is "best", but any round is gonna be a game ender. Oh, and for the record an AR15 for home defense is a bad idea unless you want your ears to bleed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
in my opinion, at 2800 fps it really doesn't matter. Anything flying that fast is gonna stop an intruder. Or at the very least hurt really really bad.

There are tons of ballistic material out there to read as to which is "best", but any round is gonna be a game ender. Oh, and for the record an AR15 for home defense is a bad idea unless you want your ears to bleed.

Problem solved

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem solved

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/jboy723/IMG_1047.jpg

ooohhhh, I can haz one  
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
correct me if im wrong here...

the best round for Home defense will NOT be a FMJ... it will be a hollow point or a soft point or the like.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Hornady TAP has been said to be very good for SBR's due to their ability to fragment at distances out of short barrels, so a longer barrel would increase its effective range.

But really, anything within HD ranges will fragment an FMJ bullet.  Even SBR's within HD ranges.  Unless your house is huge.

Any reason not to consider a shotgun?
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#7]
ok thanks for the responses, i am fond of the Lake City ammo,and my 2nd favorite is PPU 55 gr FMJ i have a 11.5" Hbar so my ammo  effectiveness is limited.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
..... Oh, and for the record an AR15 for home defense is a bad idea unless you want your ears to bleed.

are you sure? i was standing right next to an SKS that went off in my kitchen, sounded loud but different than i thought. ears rang a little, but after getting over the initial shock of the whole deal, i wondered why it wasn't louder than it was.

oh, and don't ask for details...

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
..... Oh, and for the record an AR15 for home defense is a bad idea unless you want your ears to bleed.

are you sure? i was standing right next to an SKS that went off in my kitchen, sounded loud but different than i thought. ears rang a little, but after getting over the initial shock of the whole deal, i wondered why it wasn't louder than it was.

oh, and don't ask for details...

A friend of mine fired a .300 Win Mag in the kitchen, and he can still hear. But his ears were ringing for a while. It was not accidental, and don't ask for details. LOL
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#10]
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top