Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2004 9:15:27 AM EDT
Hey all I'm new to AR15.COM, And, I have been reading about black followers not working correctly. I have 10 anodized mags 30 round, blk followers they have a sticker that says England. No clue of the manufacturer, no other indicators.
I just ran 500 rounds thru them with wolf ammo and not a problem in the bunch, even when shooting rapid fire. Am I missing something?

I looked at Troy’s FAQ posts and my black followers look like the green ones ?

Also what is the significance of the green followers other than anti tilt?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#1]
75% of my mags have black followers, and I haven't had any problems with them.  I've tried them in AR's and registered receivers, and they all function fine.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#2]
If they have stickers that say England, they are SA80 mags and are steel, not anodized aluminum. The antitilt followers are only for the aluminum, 30rd USGI mags. The SA80 mags, HK mags, 20rd mags don't need them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info, Coming from the C&R side of town I am not really up to speed yet with the whole AR lingo. any help is greatly welcome

thanks

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#4]
The black follower thing is insanity in my opinion.  I've never had a problem with them.

I read one guy's reply that said the green followers were good incase someone came up to your table at the gun show and tilted the follower with his fingers.  Yeah...  that's hugely relevant to me.

I think there is something in testosterone that gives the human male the urge to modify every fucking thing in the world.  Sometimes for worse, sometimes for better.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got newly made LEO 20 rounders with black followers. So are black followers good now?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just got newly made LEO 20 rounders with black followers. So are black followers good now?

Note that the 20 and 30 rd followers are NOT the same!!!!!! They have different issues but those black 20 followers are better replaced with modified anti-tilts or metals. It's NOT the color that's the problem, they are OVERSIZED abit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The black follower thing is insanity in my opinion.  I've never had a problem with them.

I think there is something in testosterone that gives the human male the urge to modify every fucking thing in the world.  Sometimes for worse, sometimes for better.

Back in the 1980's we used to TRADE 30rd mags to civilian FFL's for old 20's because the 30's craped out in the field alot. Yes cleaning was one issue but 20's never let you down. Never got to use the greenies in the field so I cann't say if they are that much better but there is definiately a difference in how the two function. Remember it's a whole different game when your in the dirt and getting shot at. That's when you see problems occur and it really SUCKS when it happens.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey the accessory makers need to sell you stuff.  If they can get you to believe that you need to replace the followers in all of your mags that $$ in their pockets.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hey the accessory makers need to sell you stuff.  If they can get you to believe that you need to replace the followers in all of your mags that $$ in their pockets.  

For you civialians they may not be a problem. Drop you in hostile territory and let you slop around abit I think you might have a different opinion. NOBODY is going to get rich sells followers. That's crazy. What you should question is why do they put out a product in the field with KNOWN issues? Now THAT is crazy.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I read one guy's reply that said the green followers were good incase someone came up to your table at the gun show and tilted the follower with his fingers. h...

+1
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read one guy's reply that said the green followers were good incase someone came up to your table at the gun show and tilted the follower with his fingers.  Yeah...  that's hugely relevant to me.

+1

+1

Mine all work perfectly.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For you civialians they may not be a problem. Drop you in hostile territory and let you slop around abit I think you might have a different opinion. NOBODY is going to get rich sells followers. That's crazy. What you should question is why do they put out a product in the field with KNOWN issues? Now THAT is crazy.

That doesn't even make sense.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#13]

whats all the talk about black followers not working?

The Democrats have thousands of black followers & that's worked for them for a long time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The Democrats have thousands of black followers & that's worked for them for a long time.

That is the funniest damn thing I have heard all day!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The antitilt followers are only for the aluminum, 30rd USGI mags. The SA80 mags, HK mags, 20rd mags don't need them.

Not exactly true.  The black followers in the SA80 mags are anti-tilt.  I still swap them out, but that's my preference.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If they have stickers that say England, they are SA80 mags and are steel, not anodized aluminum. The antitilt followers are only for the aluminum, 30rd USGI mags. The SA80 mags, HK mags, 20rd mags don't need them.

They are not English mags, not SA80 mags,and  they are all made in Asia. Yes the followers say England on them, they are a cheap knock off of the USGI anti tilt. Take your mag apart and look.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:17:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are not English mags, not SA80 mags,and  they are all made in Asia. Yes the followers say England on them, they are a cheap knock off of the USGI anti tilt. Take your mag apart and look.

Thats a pretty bold comment if you have never seen them? They are steal, they have black followers that look just like the green ones I did take them apart. and they have stickers on them that say england . Plus I found a couple of web sights selling the very same mag listed as SA80.  Unless you have some way of proving your point they why muddy the watters?. I said from the getgo I was not fully up on all the AR ins and outs and looking for answers.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:20:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I have black followers in mine and havnet run into an issue except with one mag and its spring is wore out.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:18:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:55:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats a pretty bold comment if you have never seen them? They are steal, they have black followers that look just like the green ones I did take them apart. and they have stickers on them that say england . Plus I found a couple of web sights selling the very same mag listed as SA80.    

He is correct. There was a lengthy post a few months ago about these "SA80" mags. Both the gray and black metal mags are indeed made in Asia, even though they have a made in England sticker on them. They are different than the true SA80 mags as well. Its just a general term used for these mags.
The black followers are anti-tilt and look just like the green ones. They are made of a softer material which is why people change them out to the green ones. I have had zero problems out of the black ones and don't feel the need to change them.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#21]
They're not for the English SA80, they're for the Singaporian SAR80, which is a bit like the AR-18. M16-pattern magazines are STANAG, and others have caught on.

I've had black followers tilt/jam up on me when loading mags in a hurry. I don't trust them, and I don't think the green followers do much to fix the issue. Magpul followers, though, are a godsend. I've even resurrected USA mags with them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
They're not for the English SA80, they're for the Singaporian SAR80, which is a bit like the AR-18. M16-pattern magazines are STANAG, and others have caught on.

I've had black followers tilt/jam up on me when loading mags in a hurry. I don't trust them, and I don't think the green followers do much to fix the issue. Magpul followers, though, are a godsend. I've even resurrected USA mags with them.

Thanx for the info. While the Magpul followers look promising, Im curious as to their reliability due to sand, dirt, mud, etc. The tolerances of those Magpul followers seem to take up all of the slack inside the magwell and not leave much room for "play".
What have you found??
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got some gray park'd ones that have been great (after changing the follower).  I'm looking for some more.  Any body know where I can get them????????????  Do Not Want the Blued Version!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#24]
mine work...

but the green ones look better
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Since most of us shoot as a hobby here in the safety of the USA black followers are probably good enough as they were before anyone heard of green followers.  Now I guess there are some even better ones from Mag-pul with an even higher price. (A follower war, perhaps).  Anyone that doesn't want their crappy obsolete black (and soon green) followers can send them to me and I'll get rid of them for you for free.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Back in the 1980's we used to TRADE 30rd mags to civilian FFL's for old 20's because the 30's craped out in the field alot.

In the early to mid 80's there were a bad batch of mags made by Cooper Industries.  All of the Coopers I have seen appeared to be made well, but they had bad springs.  The springs were so weak, and I am not talking used, but fresh out of the wrapper, they an empty mag the follower would not even actuate the bolt catch.  When shooting, the first 22-23 rounds would feed well, then it would start giving bolt-over-base misfeeds.  I experimented with wood spacers under the spring, which compressed the spring and reduced the capacity to 20 rnds, the mags ran perfectly.  This proved to me the springs were weak.  Cooper lost their contract, their mags were taken out of service and dumped on the civilian market in the late 80's.  The follower was not the problem, the weak springs was the problem.

Sometimes D.L.Sanchez mags, the other contractor in that period, had a few problems during full auto fire.  The green follower was made to solve this problem.

Shooting semi, I have not had any problems with black followers, but when I refurb my own mags, I usually replace them with greens.

Regarding the "England" mags, I got mine from CMMG, who supplied them with green followers and chrome-silicon springs.  They work perfectly.  I did not shoot them with the original followers or springs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I spoke to Richard at Magpul 1 week ago,he said they will offer the enhanced followers in green,black and glow in the dark,in January of 2005.I hope they get rid of that slot on the top.Their original prototype was red and quite oversized,the coyote tan follower is currently their best, they can be reached at 1-877-4magpul
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

..................ROTFLMAO
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 2:00:27 AM EDT
[#30]
most blacks work fine... i shot a ton of mags through qualification through the army...

i'm just crazy and do everything to prevent my weapon from jamming...
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top