Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2010 5:50:18 PM EDT
i have tryed a few different sights for my AR but i havn't found nothing that i just like , perfect . i am looking for a scope that will be very accurate at 100 yds and i can use at 400 yds also .

of course the best bang for the buck would be ideal but i know you get what you pay for .

i have been reading about ffp scopes but some say not very important at all .

any help ? thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
My Colt AR-15 Match Target is used for coyote control on my place.  I carry it on the 4-wheeler every day as I check the place.  The scope is an old 2-7 Leupold Veri-XII on a Burris mount.  It is small and lightweight.  I frequently nail coyotes at 200 yards, and sometimes out to 350.  I don't take many shots over that range, but I am confident that if I had a good rest, and the wind wasn't blowing over 5 mph, a coyote would be history at 400 yards.

My philosophy on scopes is, a rifle is no better than its sights.  Scopes and mounts are not the place to skimp.

Good luck,

Ben
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been looking at the Meopta K-Dot, and Trijicon TR21 for doing the same thing.  I don't have first hand experience with them, but have read good things about both.  Not sure if those are ones you've tried already.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out the new Leupold Mark AR scopes.  They have a finger adjustable elevation turret, bullet drop compensator for 55 gr bullets (or whatever bullet weight you want from Leupold's custom shop), mil-dot reticles, and good glass.  My dad got one, including a Burris mount, from SWFA for $400.  It's a great budget scope.  He used it on his AR for about 6 months, but just recently mounted it on his 25-06 in anticipation of antelope season.  Not having the finger adjustable windage knob makes it thinner and easier in the field or in a saddle scabbard, etc.

Good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My Colt AR-15 Match Target is used for coyote control on my place.  I carry it on the 4-wheeler every day as I check the place.  The scope is an old 2-7 Leupold Veri-XII on a Burris mount.  It is small and lightweight.  I frequently nail coyotes at 200 yards, and sometimes out to 350.  I don't take many shots over that range, but I am confident that if I had a good rest, and the wind wasn't blowing over 5 mph, a coyote would be history at 400 yards.

My philosophy on scopes is, a rifle is no better than its sights.  Scopes and mounts are not the place to skimp.

Good luck,

I agree a good 2-7  for most work inside 300 yards. Beyond that you will want a higher magnification. This is why I  have more than 1 rifle.
If I could only have one thougha good med power variable would be it.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I shoot iron sights out to 400 yards on my range (406 yards max range unfortunately).....if your eye sight is good anything up to 4x magnification should work fine.....more magnification at that range would be compensation for your eyesight IMO.
Depending on if you are wanting anything for closer ranges or not will depend on how low you want your magnification to be. I use my Aimpoint M4s at that range fine on 18"x18" gongs, but would use something more like a Millet DMS1 if I was wanting a clean shot on a yote at that distance versus a center mass hit on a man sized target. The DMS1 would allow you to crank down to 1x for quick close up shots, and crank up to 4x for some decent magnification for more precise shots.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to play with a bushnell 3200 doa. Plenty good glass for the money and the hold over dots work great with .223. I know mine hits dead on them out to three hundred yards so I would bet the four hundred yard dot would work too

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]
If your budget is tight, take a look ath the Redfied Revolution. The Accu Range reticle is excellant. Duplex cross hairs, circle for CQB. The bottom of the circle, the holdover dot and the thicker part of the duplex reticle wil give you lots of holdover points. Available in 2-7x, 3-9x and 4-12x
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Leupold makes a great scope Get an adjustable to 12X or so.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 12:49:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i have tryed a few different sights for my AR but i havn't found nothing that i just like , perfect . i am looking for a scope that will be very accurate at 100 yds and i can use at 400 yds also .

of course the best bang for the buck would be ideal but i know you get what you pay for .

i have been reading about ffp scopes but some say not very important at all .

any help ? thanks

Buy a used ACOG.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 2:17:45 AM EDT
[#10]
3-9X scope

The best "bang for your buck" with 3-9X scopes currently available on the market is probably the Trijicon TR-20, 3-9X with mil dot and second focal plane.  $550-$650 online

The upcoming Vortex 3-9X scope will likely be even better, with a battery illuminated reticle, at the same price.

The TR-20 looks great on a 18-20" barrel AR-15, and Trijicon glass is excellent.  If you have a bit more of a budget... try the Leupold Mk4 or Nightforce 2.5-10X scopes... both of which are issued on the MK12 SPR rifle, and are around the $1K mark.

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 4:01:29 AM EDT
[#11]
swfa.com is selling 6-24x50 vortex crossfires on sale for 99 bucks.  i havent read a bad review yet on them. I have one on order for my savage 308 with the bell and carlson tactical medalist stock.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 4:10:39 AM EDT
[#12]

ACOG

//thread//
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 4:50:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Leuplod Mark AR...although i don't shoot my AR's past 200...thats all we have here.
I would go 4-12x40 ....
The ½-MOA T2 elevation adjustment includes a pre-engraved bullet drop compensation (BDC) dial to match the ballistics of most 55 grain .223 Remington/5.56mm NATO loads. Long range shooting solutions for the tactical hunter have never been easier. Is the target at 500 yards? Simply turn the dial to the "5" and squeeze the trigger.
Leupold Mark AR: Optics Planet
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:46:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Check out the new Leupold Mark AR scopes.  They have a finger adjustable elevation turret, bullet drop compensator for 55 gr bullets (or whatever bullet weight you want from Leupold's custom shop), mil-dot reticles, and good glass.  My dad got one, including a Burris mount, from SWFA for $400.  It's a great budget scope.  He used it on his AR for about 6 months, but just recently mounted it on his 25-06 in anticipation of antelope season.  Not having the finger adjustable windage knob makes it thinner and easier in the field or in a saddle scabbard, etc.

Good stuff.

I have one of the Mark AR scopes.   Its a great scope for the money.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#15]
If moneys not an issue ACOG
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top