Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:14:02 PM EDT
I'm shopping for a light to mount on my AR.  What's the best buy?  I'm not looking for a $19.95 deal here, I just don't want to put $300.00 into a light.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#1]
LaRue has some combo light/mount deals under $200
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]
a G2 and CAA mount?
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 12:41:40 AM EDT
[#3]
What's the story on Hellfighter quality??
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Surefire 6P LED Defender and a Larue 606 mount. Match made in heaven in my opinion. That 5 inch long, 1" diameter light puts out 82 lumens from the factory, crazy bright little light.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Depends on your definition of best buy - that could mean cheapest with good quality, or it could mean best performance for a budget you'd have to define.

Cheapest light with good quality would be a G2 (preferably G2L or with a good LED drop-in).  For mounting, good bets would be an Elzetta mount (if you don't have a rail to mount the light on already) or an inexpensive 1" ring or the CAA mount (if you have a rail to mount it on).

Link Posted: 1/18/2009 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't know how it goes price wise, but the ARMS light that they were showing at the Shot Show was really something.

Six lights surrounding the barrel, with a cut out for the front sight base.

Can mix white lights, red lights, IR, laser..........

Very cool.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you add a pressure switch to the G2's or 6P's?

Link Posted: 1/18/2009 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Streamlight TLR-1. W/tapeswitch you're looking at appx $150:

Tomac
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Streamlight TLR-1. W/tapeswitch you're looking at appx $150:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofNewMicroMounts003.jpg
Tomac

+1

Love my TLR-1 Setup
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I am right now contemplating buying a TRL-1 on a site for about $94.00, or I was looking at the packages put together by Larue.

If you guys are happy with the Streamlight, I may just go that route and save $50.00.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's the story on Hellfighter quality??

Hellfighter lights suck.  Don't fall for their marketing gimmicks.  

Here is a photo of the poorly machined threads on an X-8 I had complete with dirty grease from the factory.  Notice also the low-grade o-rings.  The switch broke on the first one I bought and squeeked on the replacement.  The light was greenish and not very bright.  JUNK!

Link Posted: 1/18/2009 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I use the combo that Larue sells, Surefire E2E and offset mount, for about $170

Link Posted: 1/18/2009 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree with airforcewes 6p surefire with a matching surefire is the way to go. get the surefire M79 mount there very nice and have a quick detach were you can remove the light and leave the mount on the AR. Total with both is 110.00.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Here was what I did and it works great:

Surefire 6p $39.99  Ebay brand new with free shipping!

Malkoff LED-235 Lumens $54

VLTOR CK Mount: $34

Total $127.99
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#15]
you also have to ask yourself what the light is for, where will I use it.

I have found LEDs are not good outdoors.  The extreme white light gets defused quickly and "warps" shapes..can't describe it...but when a buddy spotted a mound some 50ft away, we couldn't figure out what it was.  I blasted it with my Surefire M4 and we clearly saw it was a bed down deer.  The deer didnt even look at us till I lit it up.

On the other hand my M4 was complete crap inside.  It was too freaking bright and the light bounced back at me and blinded me sometimes.

My M4 was 300 lum while the LED was about 90.

I think the best set up would be a 100 -150 lum incandescent.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#16]
My use would be JIC just in case for home security.  Living in a rural area, it could see some limited outside use.  I'm just looking for a dependable home defense light, I won't need to signal the caped crusader.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:17:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I also need to pick up a good weapon mounted light. OST for ideas.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Your budget's pretty critical - there are lots of good options in the $100-200 range, and fewer in the sub $100 range.

For primarily indoor use, you don't want a 200+ lumen face-melter, as it will wipe out your night vision the first time you flash a close wall that's light colored.  More is better outdoors or in large buildings like warehouses, but indoors, 60-100 lumens is ideal.

A good option for indoor/outdoor use is the Fenix TK11, which has a tactical switch, and lets you select between 64 lumens and 240 lumens by twisting the bezel.  The main downside is they don't have a tapeswitch option, for those who want that, but rumor is they're coming out with one.

There's a great thread on choosing and using a fighting light here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=723204
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I think you should get a SureFire G2L, because it is a basic light, and a good light, for like 70 bucks. Its bright enough for what you would use it for. And then eventually upgrade when you look into lights more.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Surefire M951C for $199 is a pretty good deal.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/sum9wecl.html

I paid $230+ for mine several years back.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Here is what I want you to seriously consider, sir:

Previously, I was running a 9volt SureFire Millenium light, but I felt it added too much weight.  Then, I got the 6V conversion, but felt the light wasn't bright enough.

After searching a bit and seeing how great the high performance LEDs were working, I found what I was looking for.  This light is brighter than the SF 9 volt I had and almost as good throw and spill.  Seriously, you can not go wrong with this light.

I then went with a VLTOR mount (too bad they don't make a QD mount) and attached to a polymer Streamlight mount (you can get it at Brownells).

I'm going to buy a second one from Victor of TVNC.  He's GREAT to deal with.

Hope this helps!

The light that you are looking for is the Q5-Lamp-G2L-BLK, which is located here!  You can also check out his ad here:  WEAPON LIGHT

It's only $109 and you get the metal head, which helps dissipate the higher heat of the higher performance LED.  It way better than SF's LEDs, which I have two of (P60Ls).
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Surefire M951C for $199 is a pretty good deal.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/sum9wecl.html

I paid $230+ for mine several years back.

I had the M961 and the 6V conversion body.  They were cool looking lights, but what I have now is better performance wise and less expensive.  High performance LEDs, like what Victor of TVNC is offering, are great options to SF stuff.  

Link Posted: 1/23/2009 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You have a lot to choose from so in order to narrow the selection here are some questions you should answer first:

–– What kind of range do you need to cover (20-30, 40-50, 60-80, 100=yds)?

–– How's your rifle equipped and what type of mount solution were you thinking of?

–– What activation method were you wanting (a momentary or 'clickie' pushbutton tailcap or tapeswitch)?

–– What is your budget for rounding everything up together?

All good questions you need to ask yourself.  And BrightFlashlights is also good people and another person that can fulfill your illumination needs.

Link Posted: 1/23/2009 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#25]
+1 on the TLR-1.  Fenix TK-10 or TK-11 might work for you too.  Lots of options.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am right now contemplating buying a TRL-1 on a site for about $94.00, or I was looking at the packages put together by Larue.

If you guys are happy with the Streamlight, I may just go that route and save $50.00.

I like my little TRL-1 so far.  The newer ones with the C4 LED make 135 lumens for 2.5 hours.  They can list for up to $150 but <opticsplanet.com> sold me one for $97.00 - plus there's free shipping.  I only wish it had a matte finish.

Link Posted: 1/23/2009 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm thinking this might be the light I go with.  I'm starting to hear a lot of good things about them.  There's actually a post about Olight onsite.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/premium-olight-m20-warrior.html
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#28]
$84 with no weapon mount and chinese(?) warranty support.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

$84 with no weapon mount and chinese(?) warranty support.

It's $100.  It's not a huge investment and I'm willing to give it a shot perhaps.  Granted, if I'm not happy with it, I'll spend the $300 or $400 and get the Surefire and use it as a nightstand light but I don't see the harm in trying it out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know anything about them, but I'm always cautious about using lights with a lot of modes in tactical apps, as the user interface is critical.  It sounds like this one switches modes by twisting the head, so that's better than one that switches from the tailcap.

Here's a review on it:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=209384

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:20:30 AM EDT
[#31]
I am thinking about this, I am also on the market for a good light to comeplete my new LMT. I went with Flat Dark Earth so all the stuff I picked up (Magpul CTR, Tango Down FVG with QD, Magpul MAID Pistol Grip, TXM Rail Covers, Magpul PMAG's are in FDE, so I kind of want my Light in that color to. I also dont want to spend a lot on a light but I want it to be able to take alot of abuse.. I know any Surefire light will stand up to pretty much about anything so I am thinking about going with the SureFire G2 Nitrolon from LaRue since it comes with the mount and then pick up the pressure switch since it will fit right into my Tango down FVG..

You guys think this will be the best option for the price? I know 60 Lumens is enuff since the light will only be for CQ type shooting but has anyone heard anything bad about this setup and can the light take alot of abuse, im sure it can I just want to know if you guys think there is anything better out there. I am not one paint my Gear (I hate AR's with peeling paint..I buy it as is so are there any other lights out there around $100 that are in Flat Dark Earth or is this it?

another thing is runtime is not a issue 20mins will be fine since I never plan on using the light unless I have to defend myself.. I would rather have some one run away due to the fact they cannot see me and want to look away from the light then have to shoot..

EDIT:

Ok so now my 2 pick's are the SureFire G2 in (FDE) or the StreamLight TLR-1 C4

The SteamLight TLR-1 C4 seems pretty nice and puts out alot more lumens for alot more time and I do not have to worry about a mount, since there is one built in and I can get if with the Pressure switch for about $130. my Other pick is still the SureFire G2, It comes in Flat Dark Earth to match my M4Gery but I will have to get a Mount for it and I cannot order of LaRue due to the fact I live in hawaii and they will only allow UPS shipping and they will cost me $40 at the least.. But besides that I can still get the SureFire G2 with a Mount for about $130 maby less.. I really do not need to match the color of the light I guess since my Optic does not match either.. so besdies the fact of matching color's.. What do you think would be a better light that will take the most about of abuse? I will look into it more but I would still like to hear what you guys think.

Oh and BTW, does anyone have a SureFire G2 in Tan/ FDE on a FDE AR I would like to know how they match side by side, I know there is a Tan color out there they is kind of a want to be FDE but they dont have the rights to the color or somthing like that.. I am reading that the SureFire pressure switch is alot better then the steamlight, so I am now leaning back towrds the SureFire G2 and the cost will be about the same with the switch $130-$150 at the most.. its a light I will most likely never use.. but I will want a good one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like my little TRL-1 so far.  The newer ones with the C4 LED make 135 lumens for 2.5 hours.  They can list for up to $150 but < opticsplanet.com > sold me one for $97.00 - plus there's free shipping.  I only wish it had a matte finish.

The TRL-1 rocks!  Compact, built-in rail mount (no tools required), long lasting LED brightness, batteries INCLUDED, free shipping.  I also got mine from Optics Planet back on Dec 8th for $95.59, since then it's gone up slightly to $103.99.  Best bang for the buck IMHO.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-tlr1-weapon-mounted-flashlight.html
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Here is my $150 deal.  It's brand-spankin' new, with all the accessories in the bag.

Surefire M951, with IR Filter and tailswitch.

Sorry for the crappy cell-cam pic.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Currently, I think the best bang for the buck would be a G2 LED  witha VTAC mount.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Currently, I think the best bang for the buck would be a G2 LED  witha VTAC mount.

Does surefire makes a Pressure switch for the G2? I cant seem to find one and I dont want to spend more money on one of the $300 Surefires just cuz it is a little brighter.. I just want somthing that has a Pressure switch and that will hold up to alot of abuse.. so I can mount the light up the upper right left and not have to use my thumb..
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Here's a list of Surefire tailcaps, including the tape switch models:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=172202
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Here is my $150 deal.  It's brand-spankin' new, with all the accessories in the bag.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l54/yomommafoo76/Guns/01-24-09_1955.jpg

That's a nice gun on your flashlight, where'd you get that?  Just kidding - but the light looks huge!
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Where did you get it for $150???

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a nice gun on your flashlight, where'd you get that?  Just kidding - but the light looks huge!

Yea, the picture makes it look huge, plus the IR Filter makes it look bigger than it really is.

Here's my brother in Iraq, with the same light on his M4.  I picked this light because its the one he used (he said he went through 3 of them), and I'm more or less putting this rifle together for him as a 'tribute' of sorts.  So he'll have something like he carried, the way you might give an M1 Garand to a WW2 vet.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you get it for $150???

Off of Ebay of all places.  Guy had just listed it with a Buy It Now, and I grabbed when I saw the price.
It's brand spankin' new and not a fake.  It is the real deal.  I feel like I got quite a deal, and am on the hunt for another.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I actually just purchased an Insight XTI Procyon for my XD.  MSRP is $180, I just picked it up for $115 shipped on Ebay.  I am planning on running it on my rifle as well to try it but its will mainly be used for pistol use and home defense use.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Here, let me spoon feed you. If you don't buy this stuff you deserve a good smack.

Scout body/mount/tape-switch=$125
^there is your scout body and mount for $125, including a pressure switch (which you can flip if you don't like them).

120 lumen LED KX2C head=$90
^there is the KX2C 120 lumen hell for throw head. for $90

I just built you a M600C ($425) scout light for $215. You owe me a beer.

Now log on and PM those guys for a hell of a deal on a light. See there? I got it for you 1/2 price

My scout light will out-throw my Malkoff M60 noticeably. It is the lightest package you can get besides the X300 with this kind of throw. I prefer the Scout on an AR over the X.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top