Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/27/2005 12:50:20 PM EDT
guys,

i am thinking about buying the following rifle. here is the guy's description.

new bushmaster m4 a2 coll stock,bayo lug,flash supp,hard case 30rd mag,new never fired.

says he'll throw in an extra mag too.

he sent me some pics...from what i can tell they look good.

thanks

-matt
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:14:38 PM EDT
Bushie M4 with a fixed (A2) carry handle from an individual, or from a dealer?

If its from an individual $750

If its a dealer $825
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:19:11 PM EDT
I would say in the neighborhood of $800, maybe a tad more, like $825.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:27:35 PM EDT
I'd say you should be able to find a brand new one from a dealer from around $800 - if you look around hard enough.

Is this a private individual offering it for sale?

I'd always be a LITTLE worried about buying sight unseen, since it COULD BE a Bushmaster stripped lower, with cheap internal parts by a crappy manufacturer and a generic upper slapped on it - in which case you could build that yourself for about $600, brand new.

Probably not really likely, but possible - there definitely are assholes out there who rip people off this way. You can also try asking him for the serial number so that you can call Bushmaster and verify if it left the factory as a complete rifle.

Even if it is a brand new unfired Bushmaster, he'd have to be willing to sell it for under $700 before I would be interested - partly because I don't really care for the fixed handle. At some point, I ALWAYS want to put optics on it (or at least have the option of doing so), so fixed handle ARs are worth slightly less to me than the flat-top version.

So, unless it is a great price (and you are pretty sure he is not ripping you off by passing off a parts gun as a Bushmaster, AND you are sure you want the A2 style, and not the A3) I'd suggest looking around until you can find the exact rifle you want for about $800-$850 from a dealer.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:39:20 PM EDT
does it have to be an A3 to mount optics? i've seen pics of red dots, etc. mounted on top of the handle.

private individual, will throw in 250 rnds +/- ammo for $800

also, am i being paranoid in the fact that i don't want a registered to me rifle?

-matt
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:59:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2005 2:03:56 PM EDT by shamayim]

Originally Posted By mattellis2:
does it have to be an A3 to mount optics? i've seen pics of red dots, etc. mounted on top of the handle.

private individual, will throw in 250 rnds +/- ammo for $800

also, am i being paranoid in the fact that i don't want a registered to me rifle?

-matt

Heck no; it doesn't need to be a flat top, to put optics on. But, in fairness to the flat top freaks, it is a bit easier, and you have a more versatile surface to mount things on. Because of that factor, I'd try to knock him down a bit on the asking price. Try for $750

And yes, you're being paranoid. First of all, unless the seller is a complete idiot, he'll get your full name and address when he sells it to you. After all, he doesn't know whether you're another John Lee Malvo, and in case the feds come to HIS door some day with questions, he's going to want to be able to say where the piece went.

But then, he might be a complete idiot.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:11:42 PM EDT
FWIW, brand new A3's were everywhere at the last show I went to for 8 Franklins.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:17:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mattellis2:

Sorry I was unclear - you can absolutely mount a variety of optics in the carry handle, and in various forward mounts, so the carry handle doesn't completely exclude optics by any means.

The flat-top is just a lot more versatile if/when you decide to start thinking about optics.

FWIW - my first AR was with the carry handle, but every single one I've bought since then has been flat-top. I have no plans to ever buy one with a fixed carry handle again.

Top Top