Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/18/2008 5:59:50 PM EST
i am new to the ar-15 scene. i just picked up a new ar yesterday. while i was at the gun shop, i picked up 2 new magazines. they were both in plastic with a tag that said "colt ar-15, 30 round 5.56."

i got them for $12 a piece and they looked brand new. there's no stamping on them at all as far as manufacturer. they have the light/soft green followers.

now for the issue, once they get down to the last 2-4 rounds, it jams the rifle and the rounds just pop out of the clip. the one time i got down to the last round, it stuck the chamber open like it was empty, which left one round floating around in there.

i plan on ditching these, but i was just wondering if anyone knew what they were
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:54:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By spoolin7:
i am new to the ar-15 scene.

Welecome spoolin7.

i got them for $12 a piece and they looked brand new. there's no stamping on them at all as far as manufacturer. they have the light/soft green followers.

now for the issue, once they get down to the last 2-4 rounds, it jams the rifle and the rounds just pop out of the clip. the one time i got down to the last round, it stuck the chamber open like it was empty, which left one round floating around in there.

i plan on ditching these, but i was just wondering if anyone knew what they were

By your description, I'd say they aren't anything to hold on to. Quality USGI Mil-spec mags will have the mfg on the floor plate and usually a date code or other numbering on the mag body.

Sly
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:05:29 PM EST
If there are no stampings on them & they are giving you problems, I'd take them back to the gunshop you got them from & ask for your money back before ditching them. They are nothing special.

You can get quality USGI surplus mags out of the EE for cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:14:03 PM EST

i am new to the ar-15 scene. i just picked up a new ar yesterday. while i was at the gun shop, i picked up 2 new magazines. they were both in plastic with a tag that said "colt ar-15, 30 round 5.56."

if you want good 30 round mags then go for PMAGS or USGI mags with Magpul fallowers.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:31:41 PM EST
thanks for the replies guys. after using a quality 30rd clip earlier, i'd say these are definately junk.

i'm for sure getting some p-mags soon. my wife actually purchased 2 new double star ar-15s for us today at a gun show and the dealer said he threw a p-mag under a ups truck and it was still usable
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:04:22 PM EST

thanks for the replies guys. after using a quality 30rd clip earlier, i'd say these are definately junk..........

quick! change the work "clip" to "mag" before anyone notices...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:40:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By cckw:

thanks for the replies guys. after using a quality 30rd clip earlier, i'd say these are definately junk..........

Link Posted: 7/23/2008 2:03:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By cckw:

I took into consideration the post count before going ape and drawing down...

Now I realize it is an injustice not to give a noob the heads up on the gospel.

Sly
Top Top