Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2002 4:43:57 PM EDT
I am going to build an AR-15 using Bushmaster parts, and will be putting the lower together myself. What should I lube the internal parts of the lower with? The fire control unit of my Sig SP2340 seems to be lubricated with white lithium grease. Will this be good, or is there something better?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Ohh man that title was so misleading...
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 10/23/2002 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
light coat of CLP.  anything more will attract grit n shit!
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ohh man that title was so misleading...

yep, got me too
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
light coat of CLP.  anything more will attract grit n shit!

Before assembling your lower, you might want to take everything except the pistol grip and buttstock assembly, toss it in a plastic bag and soak it in CLP overnight. Wipe everything off leaving a very light coat of CLP and assemble.

The closest thing to grease you will ever see on a factory AR-15 style rifle is molybdenum sulfide used on the threads where the buffer tube screws into the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the Build an AR-15 yourself forum... what did you expect? hock.gif

Now for the stupid question... Where can I find CLP? I don't think I've seen it anywhere...
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This is the Build an AR-15 yourself forum... what did you expect?

Now for the stupid question... Where can I find CLP? I don't think I've seen it anywhere...

Easiest way is go to Wallyworld in the auto section (at least that's where it's at in ours).Can of Breakfree CLP.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 6:11:44 AM EDT
[#8]
The "Wallyworld" here has it in the sporting goods area with the gun cleaning stuff. 4oz bottles and spray cans.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#9]
not to hijack, the thread...  If you have access to a Dremel tool, polish the sear surfaces of the trigger and hammer first with a felt wheel and polishing compound.  Use no grinding wheels/fittings at all.  Trigger will be much sweeter and bone stock reliable.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 7:00:20 AM EDT
[#10]
That's perfectly fine... I'm new to this (been shooting for years, just never built a firearm, and have been wanting an AR-15 for quite a while), so any suggestions or tips are welcome.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Cleaner Lubricant Protectant. CLP in militarese. Breakfree in commercial terms.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top