Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/30/2006 8:38:18 PM EDT
so? dremel? can i do it with the rifle still together or not?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
dremel it.

i would personally remove it to cut and refinish it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
dremel it.

i would personally remove it to cut and refinish it.

+1   I removed it, used my dremel to cut off as much as I could. Had to use the hack saw for one small spot, and then take it to the bench grinder to make it all even all. I still had to take a file to smooth out a few of the hard to reach spots and then I took some emery cloth and went over the whole to get rid of any grinder / file marks and then wiped it all down and painted it. Mine will be under my ff tube on a  pistol so I won't see it, but at least I know it looks good.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:57:11 AM EDT
[#3]
i really dont want to take it off. i have seen way to many " i think my FSB is canted" threads.

what should i use to refinish?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:33:46 AM EDT
[#4]
canted fsb has nothing to do with removing it they are caused by mis drilled taper pins or overtorqued bbls. also after you cut the fsb what the hell does it matter then? there will be no more fsb

if you do not feel capable/qualified of doing it yourself send it to someone that is, there are a list of dealers here that offer gunsmithing and parts install.

as for refinishing i would use norell's moly-resin but since you are scared of removing the fsb this would probably discourage you too.

by the way, what do you plan on doing this for? most spr's i have seen have a lo-profile gasblock/flip sight, uber accurate bbl., railed freefloat, and a good scope. keep in mind that certain freefloats require certain gasblocks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#5]
If it has pins it won't be canted, unless it is *already* canted in which case the fix has nothing to do with the FSB.

Do take care not to nick or mar your barrel with the dremel. I recently removed a FSB with a dremel and the pins would not move, not even when they were soaked in Kroil, pounded on, et cetera. Finally I had to cross-cut, and I ended up getting the barrel very lightly in a couple spots. Looked bad. The pins came out in several pieces (I think they were that way)

I added some high-temp paint on the barrel and it looks good now (with a new gas block) but I'd rather have not scratched it. So don't scratch yours.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Not to "beat a dead horse", but the canting problem is when guys replace the original fsb with a new one and the holes just don't match up. If your fsb is straight now, it will be straight when you put it back on (not that it matters much, since you won't have a fs, only a gas block which I'm guessing will be under a ff tube?

The problem that you see ALOT here (including me) is removing the fsb pins. If you have never done this, then it can be a pain in the ass. Do a search and you should find lots of tips. The best I've seen is the one from "Randall", he used a vice to slowly push the pins out. If you can't find that thread, let me know, I'll link.

It's actually pretty easy to do.

Good luck.

Gene
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top