Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2005 9:40:26 AM EDT
I had my dad silver solder a 4" flash supressor onto a custom 12" to make a legal 16" comando. But after I took it shooting the heat loosened it up. Is there anything else that works for this kind of project?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Silver solder or blind pinned and welded over the pin are the only legal ways to do it.  Unless you SBR the lower or us that barrel on a registered machine gun.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I had my dad silver solder a 4" flash supressor onto a custom 12" to make a legal 16" comando. But after I took it shooting the heat loosened it up. Is there anything else that works for this kind of project?

If the heat from shooting is loosening up the solder you used, you are using the wrong stuff or doing it wrong and you have an illegal configuration.  You have a SBR with a nonpermanently attached FH, unless, of course you have a properly registered SBR, but then the soldered FH wouldn't make much sense.

The solder you are supposed to use it silver solder paste.  It must have a melting temp of 1100 degrees F or greater.  A MAPP gas or oxy/acetylene torch is required to properly silver solder on a FH.

Get it fixed correctly and quickly or disassemble the upper.

If you used silver solder, you either didn't heat up high enough, or you didn't maintain the heat long enough for the solder to flow.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]
box it up, send it to adco.

have them pin and weld.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Drill a hole, put in a pin, weld over the top, clean her up with a file and some cold blue. Be sure not to drill too deep obviously
Works good very easy as long as you have even a super cheap drill press and a welder of course.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
how do you do the silver solder paste method?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
box it up, send it to adco.

have them pin and weld.

+1

I just received my upper back from ADCO, Steve did a great job, can't even tell where the pin hole was. I had mine back within a week.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#7]
this is the thing, i leave in a week. How much did it cost?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#8]
doesnt matter, you need to have it done now, what you have in your house is called "constructive intent"
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
how do you do the silver solder paste method?

Get the proper silver solder paste, clean the threads of the barrel and FH to bare metal, degrease  all parts coat barrel threads lightly, but completely, with the silver solder paste, install FH.  Clean any excess silver solder off of barrel and FH.  Heat the FH/barrel until the FH is a dull, cherry red and hold for approx. five min or until there is obvious indications of silver solder flow.  Allow to cool to ambient.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#10]
where do you buy that at? my dad used regular silver solder,
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#11]
find a welding supply house and they should have it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Napalm, you could drift over to the AK-47 forum under the build section  and look for the thread  "AMD-65 muzzle brake weld" posts. It is about a product sold by Ace Hardware. It worked for my muzzle weld (solder). I am not professing it as gospel, just another method.

RTO
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#13]
IM sent.

You can send it overnight. Talk to Steve, to me the price was so reasonable that there is no reason to do it myself, leave it to the professionals, and you will be happy with the results.

Here is Steve's e-mail:    [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
doesnt matter, you need to have it done now, what you have in your house is called "constructive intent"

+1

BTW, I'm in the middle of dealing with the ATF right now filling out a Form 1 to build an SBR. Just filling out the form correctly can be a motherf***er. Trust me, there is so f***ing much conflicting information when you deal with these folks that I'd be damn sure I did the thing right. I'd be real nervous right now if I had a short barrel and a flash hider that wasn't properly installed. Get that thing fixed permanent and ASAP.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I got a call from my dad at work, it's all ready pinned and welded. now I just need to refinnish it and its compleate.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#16]
good on ya.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I got a call from my dad at work, it's all ready pinned and welded. now I just need to refinnish it and its compleate.

Good for you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#18]
hows it look?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
hows it look?
www.peace-through-victory.com/XM117e2.JPG

It looks great but how about a close up of the welding job?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#20]
this is the closest thing i have at the moment, i refinished it with duracoat.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top