Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2016 10:25:16 PM EDT
So I recently purchased an 80 percent arms easy jig and the instructions say to use cutting / tapping g fluid. I have already milled out 1 80 percent lower with the easy jig and used Oates dark thread cutting oil ( http://m.homedepot.com/p/32-oz-Dark-Cutting-Oil-30204/202078159 ) and my drill press kept stopping. plus the atuff made a big mess because its like black oil. so im wondering if anyone knows the best cutting / tapping fluid to use for milling out an 80 percent lower with 80 percent arms easy jig.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#1]
For drilling holes with my modulus jig I used WD40.  Worked well enough.  If your drill press is stopping/bit is grabbing try to clear your chips more frequently and let the tool do more of the work rather than applying more pressure.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you actually have a flood coolant flow system, just spraying down liberally with WD40 or regular old motor oil is probably more than good enough.  Maybe a hand-pump oilcan and give it a few glugs to the bit and surface before starting each plunge and/or after pulling out to clear chips.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:03:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Another good Aluminum cutting fluid blend is WD40 and ATF......

Ca_Longshot
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:25:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Back in the day - a little 3 in 1 oil worked well on aluminum.  I don't know if they still even make it?  

And...  what was it???  Trying to remember...  High speed, slow feed - for aluminum?  I've been out of machinist school 36 years now, and didn't work in the field.  So it's a stretch.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:26:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Tap Magic is what I have laying around.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:23:59 AM EDT
[#6]
WD40 is probably going to be easiest and cheapest for you. Tap magic works great.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Tap Magic for aluminum. Contains oil of wintergreen.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Machinist by trade here, Tap Magic FTW
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#9]
This is what I am using in my mill.

I like that it is soluble, makes cleanup easier.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Tap Magic was what we used in the bicycle industry when we had to retap stuff.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So I recently purchased an 80 percent arms easy jig and the instructions say to use cutting / tapping g fluid. I have already milled out 1 80 percent lower with the easy jig and used Oates dark thread cutting oil ( http://m.homedepot.com/p/32-oz-Dark-Cutting-Oil-30204/202078159 ) and my drill press kept stopping. plus the atuff made a big mess because its like black oil. so im wondering if anyone knows the best cutting / tapping fluid to use for milling out an 80 percent lower with 80 percent arms easy jig.
View Quote

This is the stuff I use:

CRC Cutting Oil
http://www.amazon.com/CRC-14050-Cutting-Thread-Lubricant/dp/B000M8NYIU

It is an aerosol can like WD-40 (includes a little tube even) except it is formulated for thread cutting, drilling, milling, etc.  I think it is available in a jug for pourable use instead of spray.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#12]
WD 40 is probably best, and certainly the cheapest and most available too.

I started using WD40 in  a squirt bottle with a little bit of chainsaw bar oil (way oil) to increase viscosity to help keep my cutting fluid where I wanted it.  I don't know if the more viscous oil helped, but it didn't hurt.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you actually have a flood coolant flow system, just spraying down liberally with WD40 or regular old motor oil is probably more than good enough.  Maybe a hand-pump oilcan and give it a few glugs to the bit and surface before starting each plunge and/or after pulling out to clear chips.
View Quote

I put some cheap 10-30 motor oil in a spray bottle and it works just fine. I spray just a tad every couple of holes or so. Take it slow and when you feel the sides of the jig getting warm, take a break for a bit. I tried WD-40 but it didn't feel like it was lubricating as well as oil.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:53:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I've heard kerosene is good on aluminum.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Not to hijack OP, but since there seem to be some fairly intelligent and schooled people here:

Does the TYPE of fluid contribute to the finished appearance of the product or is that a direct result of feeds/speeds/tool sharpness?
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not to hijack OP, but since there seem to be some fairly intelligent and schooled people here:

Does the TYPE of fluid contribute to the finished appearance of the product or is that a direct result of feeds/speeds/tool sharpness?
View Quote

That  is a great question. In my experience, it matters more in the cutting speed and type of tool used. I get better results on the final pass when I use a slower cutting speed and  a 1/4" diameter end mill. I make passes no deeper than 1/8". I don't think the type of oil used matters that much as long as it lubricates and keeps the aluminum from galling up and clogging the bit.

To keep the aluminum cool and to make clean up easier, I use a small shop vac to suck up the chips and it keep it cool by increasing air flow in and around the lower and jig. If it gets too hot I take a break and keep the shop vac running.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I use Tap Magic.  One can last forever and it helps cut great.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I find the blood of my enemies works pretty well, but you have to keep it refrigerated, or in it's original container until time of use.
Maintenance is high on the damn container though, kind of a weird setup.  Fridge is easier.
Brake cleaner takes it off everything but fabric.  Wear junk clothes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Another good Aluminum cutting fluid blend is WD40 and ATF......

Ca_Longshot
View Quote

this and go slowly and watch the speed. Learned from porting manifolds and heads that too high of a speed and the aluminum will heat up and harden.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#20]
We use Schaeffer oil products.  The Kool series coolants work great on the CNCs and Tap Shield would be my suggestion for your needs.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/metalworking-fluids.html
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I would recommend Boelube, it is available on Amazon. It was specially developed for cutting aluminum by Boeing Aircraft Corp, it is available in solid stick, paste and liquid. I have used it exclusively on the aluminum 80% lowers I have machined. It makes a cleaner cut and makes it easier for the tools to cut, cutting fluids are a combination of penetrative ability and lubricity, the stuff needs to get where the cut is being made. It makes things cooler in the process.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I tried a couple different options. Cutting oil, WD40 and Kroil.

I tried each one at a time on its own lower.

The rest of the 80's were completed using the Kroil. Lubed better and the smell was better to me.

Now my shop vac will probably smell like Kroil forever.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Cutting 7075 speeds and feeds are going to haves much greater effect on your surface finish than coolant or cutting fluid will.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top