Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 9:50:45 AM EDT
i have a kimber ultra cdp the came with factory night sights.  Meprolight (sp) green.  they work great but i picked up a heavily modified kimber clasic with after market night sights.  they are green front with red back.  they have  wite plastic around the "elements".  the red ones glow softer than the green front and are hard to see.  anyone know what kind they are?  or if i can replace the rear sight? i will try to find a pic.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a PT night sights.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
i've got Meprolight Nite sights on my glock, green front w/ orange dots in rear.  I believe they make a few color combo's.  I've never seen red though.

i like the orange rears, too.  the are duller and allow the eye to naturally pick up the brighter front sight.  i noticed a difference in my shooting once they were put on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got all green on my USP45.

although its difficult to not line them[red] up [/red] correctly, I could see the benefit of a different color front sight.  So that's what I would recommend you stick with.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a set of night sights for a Kimber that sound like the ones you describe from wilsoncombat.com .. except mine are amber/rear and green front.

IIRC wilson offered different color combinations. The strong green front dot really helps with getting a quick sight picture.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe P-T and Trijicon offer the red rear color as an option.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
p-t rings a bell

gregw45  how bright are the orange? are they as bright as the green front sight?

i can barley see my red
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Trijicon offers green fronts only and green, orange and yellow rears.

In order of brightness:

GREEN
Orange
Yellow
red
blue

I like Green fronts and Yellow rears.  I would not get the red or blue rears as they are too dim.  I like my rears a little dimmer but red and blue are very very dim.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
i like a green front and a yellow rear. Helps your eyes stay focused on the front sight in the dark. The yellows are still bright enough to pick up easily and both Trij and Mep claim no significant reduced life compared to the greens. (Unlike red, blue, etc which usually claims half the life.)
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:02:45 AM EDT
[#9]
thanks guys,
does anyone have contact info for PT?
looks like i will get my rear sight changed out for one that is bright enough to see.  i thought i was going blind!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:15:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not an OPTOMITRIST but,with the PT night sights you have versatality.I think that would help if one were COLORBLIND.Think about it some people cannot see different hues of red or green.And just think:this is more common in males than females.And at the same time think about this:more males buy firearms and add accessories.

Think About It!!!

Edit to add: Try this link you may see what I mean.HTTP://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.html

If someone could help me make this hot I would Appreciate. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I have PT Green front, Orange rear on my Smith & Wesson 99/40 and I love em. yes they really do make it easier to pick up the front sight fast.

The only night sites i've seen that were faster are the PT Bar dots I have on my Glock 21. Green/Green is the only option in this sight set and they offer a sight picture similar to this

- O -

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
thanks guys,
does anyone have contact info for PT?
looks like i will get my rear sight changed out for one that is bright enough to see.  i thought i was going blind!
View Quote

[url]http://www.ptnightsights.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

gregw45  how bright are the orange? are they as bright as the green front sight?

i can barley see my red
View Quote

Nope, not as bright as the green - but easily spotted if you need 'em.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the green front/red rear combo.  The red is dim, true.  But you need to be concentrating on your front sight anyway.  I haven't a problem.  Of course, I need to practice more in low-light and no-light conditions.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#17]
i recommend the novak bar dot configuration in green....easy to mate the two shapes...have these mounted on a colt off model...

Green is the brightest color. I have a buddy in the low-country of SC who is a state wildlife officer. He also trains multiple departments (weapons). He has mentioned that there have been errors in three dot configurations with the shooter placing the front sight dot outside of the rear dots....

I have a kahr with the 3dot set up. I can sharpen up the colt faster then I can with the kahr and i can see how this may happen (misplacing dots).....
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top