Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 8:19:15 PM EDT
Just finished my lower: Lauer lower, RRA LPK w/ NM trigger, Vltor stock.

Now for my upper:  I want to build around a 16" mid-length gas sys in gov't profile but don't know enough about who makes them and where to get them.  I saw Bravo Co. is out of stock on them but CMMG has them and Denny's has their Recon Barrel that looks really nice, also  Pete has the RRA 16" middy.  That's what I could scrounge up but it really didn't tell me what I want to know.

As far as how the gun will be used:  ready in my closet and trips to the range for fun, not for work.

(I plan on floating it with Larue 12.0 right away if that makes a diff.)

Thanks...SKAL    
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Talon Arms carries Sabre Defence government profile midlength barrels that are pretty good from what I hear.

I have a RRA midlength and like it quite a bit.  RRA only does HBAR though.  ADCO can turn them down to a lighter profile if you're so inclined.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with Dennys-I did and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:32:59 AM EDT
[#3]
With the selections we have today I'd go with Bravo Company's mid-length barrel!  The features they have and QC they are put through make it a top choice for me.

16" Government Profile, Mid Length Gas system, Chrome Lined, 4150 Grade Barrels (Mil Spec-B-11595E, CMV) with the hard to find Government Profile (1/7 twist).  Featuring M4 feedramps, HPT (Height Pressure Tested) M197, MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected), Manganese Phosphate finish, threaded 1/2x28.  This barrel has M4 feedramps and for proper functioning should be used with a flat top receiver machined with M4 feedramps.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:45:59 AM EDT
[#4]
adco can reprifile the rra midlength if you want
dennys recon/operator are both nice
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:04:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies!  I took a look at the Sabre assemblies and don't know if they can do the barrel only but that is what I'm looking for.  That way I can put a low profile gas block on it and cover it up with the long Larue tube.  As for the RRA (Wilson), I guess HBAR would be fine since I'm not too worried about weight.  Disregard my earlier gov. profile spec.

Denny's (Recon by WOA) can blast their SS down to take off the shine (not into shiny guns) and they come with their own bolt.  Denny's has others that are also interesting: Noveske 16.1 w/ larue low profile gas block already installed.

A majority of these 16" mids are out of stock, anyone know why?  Is everyone building one of these?

SKAL    
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:45:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies!  I took a look at the Sabre assemblies and don't know if they can do the barrel only but that is what I'm looking for.  That way I can put a low profile gas block on it and cover it up with the long Larue tube.  As for the RRA (Wilson), I guess HBAR would be fine since I'm not too worried about weight.  Disregard my earlier gov. profile spec.

Denny's (Recon by WOA) can blast their SS down to take off the shine (not into shiny guns) and they come with their own bolt.  Denny's has others that are also interesting: Noveske 16.1 w/ larue low profile gas block already installed.

A majority of these 16" mids are out of stock, anyone know why?  Is everyone building one of these?

SKAL    

16" mids are the trend of the day.

Denny's also has BCM complete 16" middy upper is stock right now. If you want one now's the time. I got mine yesterday.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

SKAL    

Mids are popular now.  Check with Talon Arms.  They do a lot of work with Sabre and may have something that fits your needs.

Bang for the buck it's hard to beat Bravo Company's midlength barrels and uppers.  They are my front runner right now, but alas unforseen expenses have eaten into the AR budget for the next several months...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I took a real close look at Bravo Co's lineup.  They don't have them on their site but I think Denny's might have some, I have to give him a call.

I saw a link to a Denny's ad in another thread about mids.  It sure was a sweet rifle, exactly what I'm interested in.  I can't remember whose it was, help?

Thanks for all the info so far.  I'm leaning towards the Bravo Co's, they sound like a good deal... SKAL    
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I took a real close look at Bravo Co's lineup.  They don't have them on their site but I think Denny's might have some, I have to give him a call.

I saw a link to a Denny's ad in another thread about mids.  It sure was a sweet rifle, exactly what I'm interested in.  I can't remember whose it was, help?

Thanks for all the info so far.  I'm leaning towards the Bravo Co's, they sound like a good deal... SKAL    

Denny has the Bravo Mid in stock RIGHT  NOW. I just got one Monday.

His mid weight middy "Operator" is not in stock but he has a batch in the works.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for all the info so far.  I'm leaning towards the Bravo Co's, they sound like a good deal... SKAL     hr

Denny has the Bravo Mid in stock RIGHT  NOW. I just got one Monday.

His mid weight middy "Operator" is not in stock but he has a batch in the works.

Comp1911, I'm interested in the operator barrel.  How's it different from Denny's recon barrel, aside from manufacturer?  And what sets them apart from the Bravo Co's?     Thanks, SKAL    
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#11]
The RECON is a stainless barrel, Wilson blank turned by WOA I believe. Mid weight contour.

The Operator is a Chrome Vanadium steel, chrome lined barrel, Mike Rock blank, mid weight contour.

BCM is a government light coutour, Chrome Vanadium steel, chrome lined. BCM does all the same QC steps as Colt. Proof fires each barrel and mag particle inspects. They are also parked under the FSB and the FSB is F marked (for flat top use).

All of these barrels are 1-7 twist with M4 barrel extensions.

I have an Operator and just received the BCM. I prefer the Mid weight of the Operator between the two. But that is just my taste.

Edit to add the BCM is made in your home state of WI, in Milwaukee.

HTH

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The RECON is a stainless barrel, Wilson blank turned by WOA I believe. Mid weight contour.

The Operator is a Chrome Vanadium steel, chrome lined barrel, Mike Rock blank, mid weight contour.

BCM is a government light coutour, Chrome Vanadium steel, chrome lined. BCM does all the same QC steps as Colt. Proof fires each barrel and mag particle inspects. They are also parked under the FSB and the FSB is F marked (for flat top use).

All of these barrels are 1-7 twist with M4 barrel extensions.

I have an Operator and just received the BCM. I prefer the Mid weight of the Operator between the two. But that is just my taste.

Edit to add the BCM is made in your home state of WI, in Milwaukee. HTH

Thanks again, Comp1911

The Recon and Operator are priced relatively the same so I'm trying to figure out why I'd want one over the other.  Stickman talked about a guy who brought in an old SS to get the barrel swapped out and even though it didn't shoot sub-MOA it still shot great.  His point that SS barrels don't lose their kick ass accuracy as fast as some think.  Now as far as chrome vanadium steel, possibly not as accurate as SS but last a damn long time.  Is this the general consensus as to one vs. the other, or why one might choose a SS for precision shooting vs. chrome vanadium steel for tons of shooting fun?

SKAL! (Cheers!)   he

I asked the same ???s to Denny over on his Industry board.  His response is really good and it looks like these things are so popular that anyone wanting one will have to wait...SKAL
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:46:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an Operator and like it very much so far.  Still playing the irons game, so to decisively say how accurate it is would be tough.  So far, it does seem top notch.

BTW.  You do know that a 12" FF will cover the FSB right?  Some peope like to do that, just wanted to make sure you didn't want to put a standard FSB on.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:54:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top