Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/9/2005 6:07:21 PM EDT
I'm looking at putting a flashhider on my postban M4gry ,so I talked to a smith. He says that to remove my old brake that is silver soldered on that I take a good chance at warping the barrel . It is a Bushmaster  14.5 M4 barrel that's chrome lined . He also says that it will damage the chrome lining if it gets hot ,and the new flashider will have to be threaded on while the barrel is hot to be permently attached . I work in the heat and air field and have access to a torch that will work to get it hot enough . So what i'm getting at is this hard to do ,should I attempt tihs myself ? Or should I find a different smith ,as I cannot afford a new barrel right now ? I've seen the posts about Adco and would like to do this myself or locally if possible . I've looked and canot find any spots for blind pins also .
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure others will chime in as well, possibly with first hand experience, a.f.a.i.k., it shouldn't warp the barrel, they had to get it that hot to put it on right? It didn't warp it or damage the chrome then. Also, it does not need to be permanently attatched now, the ban is dead, and the batf doesn't consider sweated on parts permanent, I think they gotta be soldered and blind pinned.

My pistol and rifle are merely TOOLS, I'M the weapon
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Kurt's Kustom Firearms.

1. People have good things to say about him here

2. They're reasonably priced professionals with barreling service experience

3. The liability goes to the one who fucks the barrel up. If that's you, you're SOL.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It is a Bushmaster  14.5 M4 barrel that's chrome lined.

AFAIK If your barrel is only 14.5" the flash suppressor must be permanently attatched to bring your barrel up to the legal lenght of at least 16"

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is a Bushmaster  14.5 M4 barrel that's chrome lined.

AFAIK If your barrel is only 14.5" the flash suppressor must be permanently attatched to bring your barrel up to the legal lenght of at least 16"

Yes, but what does that have to do with his question?

jronio, are you sure the brake is silver soldered?  Most that I've seen are pinned and welded which is much easier to undo.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah i'm pretty sure it is as soon as I get some battery's for my hog of a camera i'll post a pic tonight .
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a new smith.  How the F&*(K are you going to warp a barrel of 4150 steel with only 1100deg of heat?

You can also lathe it off (common trick) since you need to put the barrel on a lathe to thread it anyway.

Send the upper to Kurt's or ADCO Firearms.  They both do top-notch work.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top