Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2008 4:51:48 AM EDT
i want to build an AR in a hunting caliber. i am thinking 6.8 SPC, or 6.5 Grendel. which of the two has better parts availibility? i have read around on here, but what exactly do i need? is there a parts list anywhere? what about tools? thanks for any help that may be offered.
adam
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#1]
458 socom
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#2]
i would prefer something for longer range work also. 3-400 yards. i already have a 45-70, so i am covered on my big 45 rifles.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have not looked at bullet types for the 6.5, but I believe it was designed more for paper punching and I don't know if proper bullets for hunting are readily available for it.  I could be (probably? ) am wrong, but who knows.  Either way, the ONLY thing that is different is the Bolt, barrel and magazine.  Everything else you just use the same standard parts as usual.

Brian
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard that 6.8SPC is pretty good at killing things, so thats probably what I'd use if I were building a hunting rig, lol. Never really looked into it though. Check around and see what loads are available in both calibers before making a choice.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I did a little searching and indeed you can find ready loaded ammo constructed for hunting.  And of course if you reload yourself then there is the obvious tons of 6.5 hunting bullets you can use.

So it now really becomes a personal chocie.  I chose 6.8 SPC for my rifle.  But there really seems to be only marginal differences in the effective use on deer sized game.  Choose the one you feel will have better ammunition availabilty 5, 10, 25 years from now and enjoy

Brian
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top