Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/3/2008 10:42:30 AM EDT
I was looking at putting a vortex flah hider onto my rra upper but it states that it does not need a crush washer. is this right? It states for threaded barrels, it is not needed. does this mean there are barrels where it is needed? I'm pretty confused here. what do I need to succesfully install one?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea about Vortex's meant for unthreaded barrels, maybe for an M1A ot something?

Regardless, I don't see where the confusion is.   You have a threaded barrel.  The instructions say "don't use a washer".  What's the problem?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#2]
had kind of a brain dump on that last posthat
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#3]
some flash hiders like the A2 birdcage or the closed bottom phantoms or even the QD suppressor mounts need to be "indexed" meaning that there is a top and bottom...

vortexes do not need to be indexed and need to be tightened so that the muzzle is flush with the inside of the vortex... a washer of any type would prevent this...

hope that helps
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I dont think there is any need to "index" the Vortex like a standard A2 FS or other variants where vents need to be specifically aligned.   So there is no need for a washer of any sort.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Regardless, I don't see where the confusion is.   You have a threaded barrel.  The instructions say "don't use a washer".  What's the problem?

Pretty much.  Vortex flash suppressors just go on with no washer.   Not complicated.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a handful of Vortexes mounted.

There is no easier flash hider to install.

Simply screw it on and you are done. You don't even need to use a wrench on it; they are designed to tighten as you fire.

Save your washers for your Phantoms.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Indexing a Flash Suppressor or a Muzzle brake matters in a few circumstances.

1. The bottom "port" is left closed to reduce your dust signature. So you naturally need to install the muzzle device with the closed port down.

2. Muzzle brakes that vector the gasses in a specific manner to reduce perceived muzzle rise or recoil.

On the Vortex itself, there is no alignment index on the flash suppressor. I put a dab of grease on the threads before installing to make my life easier when it comes time to disassemble for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:52:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Just screw the thing on and be done with it. Just tighten it as much as you can with your hands. They are very nice hiders. I also really like the "tuning fork" ring that it makes when I rack the action.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top