Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/30/2006 4:50:35 PM EDT
I got a few buddies up on base in CA and they say that they often use a light weight vehicle oil to lube their AR's - like a 10w-40 for example.

any thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Leave the motor oil in the engine.I tried Mobil 1 and saw no advantage to it other than saving a couple bucks...its what I would consider a last resort weapons application.The motor oils seem to trap alot of carbon/gummy mess,and has very little corrosion protection in an open environment in my limited experience.
I'd stick with CLP or a weapons specific synthetic LP.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:51:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Leave the motor oil in the engine.I tried Mobil 1 and saw no advantage to it other than saving a couple bucks...its what I would consider a last resort weapons application.The motor oils seem to trap alot of carbon/gummy mess,and has very little corrosion protection in an open environment in my limited experience.
I'd stick with CLP or a weapons specific synthetic LP.

+1

ok if thats all you have, but there is better out there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I've experimented with Slick50 before...no problems with it.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#5]
prolong works well keeps the bolt nice and slick.  Carrier slides very smooth.  In regards to preventing foul up.  No difference noted when using clp on another rifle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to use Slick 50 in my IPSC guns all the time.  

Great stuff
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:15:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Ed's Red
This will remove carbon easily.

Keep off wood and stocks though I've had no problem with it. It will eat some kinds of plastic.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/edred/index.asp

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4653/edsred.htm

You can mix up some without the solvents as an oil though I prefer wiping the gun down and using CLP

Quoted:
I got a few buddies up on base in CA and they say that they often use a light weight vehicle oil to lube their AR's - like a 10w-40 for example.

any thoughts?

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top