Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 8:58:34 AM EDT
I have been wanting an AR-15 style rifle and decided I want a varminter version to keep the prairie dogs at bay.  However, I have always heard good things about the RRA trigger and I want 6 position stock.  Unfortunately, neither Bushmaster or RRA has a varminter with the adjustable stock.  I have been thinking of getting the

RRA Complete Lower Half / National Match Trigger / 6-Position Tactical CAR Stock

I was also wanting a fluted barrel, and so I am looking at Bushmaster Varminter Upper Receiver

This will be my first AR.  I am not sure if this should be  in the general or build it your self section.  But if I get a complete upper and lower, what else would I need.  I assume the two would be compatible.

OR

should I just pick a factory model (Bushmaster or RRA) if I should do this? Which in y'all's OPINIONs is better?  I realize this is a subjective question but I would like to know opinions and reasons for these opinions.  Thank you
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#2]
My first AR was the Bushmaster Varminter.  It is absolutely AWESOME !  Extremely accurate.  Two stage trigger,  fluted barrel, hogue grip.  You will not be dissapointed with the Bushmaster Varminter.  All you will need is a harris bipod and scope.  You can always change out the stock if you don't like the standard.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#3]
how difficult is it to change the stock?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I changed the stock on my m4a3 with a Magpul M93b.  It's not too bad at all.  Just be carefull removing the stock because it has a couple springs that can possibly go flying : )  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#5]
any special tools required?  I know this is probably somewhere in the forum, I am just too lazy to look it up, actually don't have the time right now since I am at work, I also wanted to bump it BTT  :D
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#6]
to remove the original stock you need a screwdriver.  and to to put the new one on ..   well that depends what you get.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
just buy the bushy and change the stock...

+1
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]
screwdriver?  where can I get one of those?

j/k  I may be a noob to Ar15s but I got plenty screwdrivers.  thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#9]
no problem.  any time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#10]
another question, why isn't the varminter barrel chrome-lined like other barrels? and does it really matter?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#11]
ARFCOM lore states that chrome lining will decrease accuracy slightly.

Quoted:
another question, why isn't the varminter barrel chrome-lined like other barrels? and does it really matter?

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#12]
    A Bushmaster complete upper costs 725.00 . You can get the whole rifle for a little over 1,000.00 if you buy online. So I think you would be better off getting the complete rifle. You will get a match trigger and a bolt  that is matched to the barrel for precise headspace. The barrel is not chrome lined but it is 4150 steel. I have one, very accurate well made rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top