Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 11:24:07 AM EDT

Did I hear right that it is not a good idea?

(1/9 twist or faster)
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
M855/SS109 is 5.56mm ammo and most match barrels have chambers that are .223 and on the tight side at that.  If you're match barrel has a Wylde chamber such as the RRA varmint barrels then you should be okay but you are likely to have reliability issues otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]

I guess my most major concern is wearing out the rifling rapidly since the bore is tighter and using heavier bullets.

Does 62 gr. or M855 or ss109 or whatever use more/denser powder to move the heavier bullet better?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I was testing my feedramps on this rifle with M855/SS109 and it would not fully chamber any of the rounds I tried.  This has a tight match chamber, which I confirmed through email conversations with people at White Oak.  Something about the ogive (curve) of the bullet that contacts the throat of the chamber and doens't allow them to chamber fully.  They would have not worked at all in this rifle, but it was all I had at the time.  I have since exclusively shot 69gr and 77gr SMKs out of it with no problems.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Omg, another fine use for the wife's exerise stepper!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Omg, another fine use for the wife's exerise stepper!

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I guess my most major concern is wearing out the rifling rapidly since the bore is tighter and using heavier bullets.

They all use a 0.224" bore and most match ammo is heavier than SS109, so...

The chamber itself is tighter and a match barrel has a limited service life before accuracy starts to degrade.  That life is measured in the number of rounds fired through it and it doesn't matter if those rounds are a bunch of cheap milsurp ammo in a few afternoons or handloaded match ammo over the course of a few years.  Looking at it from that point of view it would obviously be stupid to waste the life of a good match barrel with just going out and plinking.  If you want something for a bunch of rapid fire shooting you should get something chrome lined from Bushmaster.

Does 62 gr. or M855 or ss109 or whatever use more/denser powder to move the heavier bullet better?
Military ammo, both M855 and M193, is loaded fairly hot, but even then we're still talking about 5.56mm.  The really hot stuff like .22-250 or those new .223WSSM will have issues with throat erosion.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top