Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2005 4:23:03 PM EDT
Has anyone owned or used both of these?  How do you they compare as a general purpose, own-only-one optic?  I like the variable magnification on the sn-4, but the acog has BAC and i imagine the military uses more acogs for a reason, although that might just be price.  i've also read that the picture from the sn-4 is much clearer.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#1]
SN4 does not have BAC capable lit reticle... its dim and runs out of batteries in only 12 hours or less at full power.  Its very, very heavy.

ACOG has BAC but that means different POA/POI  for the BAC use (no where near as precise as a red dot) and the reticle goes out when used indoors in the dark with a flash light (makes it veryslow to use in that situation).

Neither is ideal for a dual purpose CQB/Midrange optic but both are better than a fixed non illuminated 4X scope.  Neither holds a candle to a true 1X red dot style optic in close.  Both are excellent at longer ranges.

If you want a do everything optic set up your only choices at the moment are the S&B short dot and the Aimpoint + 3X setup.  New things are coming but thats all there is for now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:44:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#4]
thank you all very much for the advice.  that's very helpful.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top