Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2005 7:53:33 PM EDT
I have a lower receiver that must be a bit out of spec as none of my other uppers will fit on it.  The gun's own upper has the takedown pin hole elongated to let the takedown pin go in.  Does this elongated hole affect the strength or service life of this upper receiver?  It was elongated after anodizing and is raw aluminum.  While I am on this subject where exactly are the recoil forces absorbed on an AR-15 type rifle?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#1]
May I ask who manufactures the lower?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
May I ask who manufactures the lower?

+1

And can you post pics?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't know about your uppers,  but EVERY upper I've ever seen has an elongated rear mounting hole. Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River, etc,etc. It's standard; to allow for minor variations in lower dimentions.

Now I suppose the piece that fits your lower might have a more elongated hole than standard, and that the lower is, indeed, out of spec.  Without pics, we have no way of knowing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#5]
The lower receiver is a very old D.P.M.S. Becker, MN with the vertical SAFE marking.  I can't figure out how to post pics.  All of my uppers do have the elongated hole; but the only one that fits the D.P.M.S. has a bigger elongation.  Is this lower the cast version?  It looks like the one in the rollmark post and it says cast.  I assume they mean the receiver is cast and not forged?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#6]
If you would like me to post the pics, send them to [email protected]...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top