Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/10/2006 6:19:27 AM EDT
 I love my Sp1 and my Sp2 Colts...they are glassy smooth, accurate and just plain aesthetically sweet....like pure cane sugar....

HOWEVER....the one thing that annoys me is the old style Pony front pins.  My Sp1 is in an A1 configuration, so it has an M16 A1 upper on it.  I use a Bushie eccentric adaptor pin to accomodate the large hole lower to the small hole upper.

the Sporter 2 Carbine is large hole to large hole with a KNS pin that holds them together very nicely...

That being said, I prefer the standard front pushpin style of the current LE Colts and the rest of the AR world....so I want to change both weapons to a current format.

POINT and QUESTION: How would you guys approach this issue?  Should I send the lower of the SP1 to Colt and have them switch it out?  Or, in the interest of historical preservation, should I drive over to SAW Sales and pic up a 6400C or LE Colt Defense Lower and go that route??? In doing so, I thereby save the vintage SP1 ( 1976 ) lower from the torch.

How about the Sporter 2?  It's a late 80's slabside A2 lower with an A1 large hole upper.  I love my 6520 A2 but A1s are my preference.  Does Colt still make the A1 upper in the 5.56 configuration?  I know they have 9 mil A1 style uppers but they are quite different, of course.....buy the looks of it that one MUST go to Pony Land to get updated.

I would prefer to save the A1 slabbie lowers for you guys that are into super retro....thereby preserving some great AR history.

So, any advice???? These projects are next in line after my High Power and my Remington 700 ( .300 WM ) are finished....which should be very soon.  They are in the shops and the work is being done as we speak....so after my tax returns come in it will be time for the ARs to be fully updated.

Thanks for your time, guys.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Whatever you decide...let me know on the retro lowers!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you know something I don't (entirely possible), sending an SP1 lower to Colt for some sort of swap (will they actually do that??) is only going to get you a current A2 profile push pin lower; which you can buy from any Colt dealer.

If having an SP1 and 2, w/the attendent front hinge issues, really bothers you that much, my own suggestion would be to sell the pieces you have, and simply acquire new issue Colt AR15s. That'll make a couple of collectors happy, and get you what you seem to want.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Unless you know something I don't (entirely possible), sending an SP1 lower to Colt for some sort of swap (will they actually do that??) is only going to get you a current A2 profile push pin lower; which you can buy from any Colt dealer.

If having an SP1 and 2, w/the attendent front hinge issues, really bothers you that much, my own suggestion would be to sell the pieces you have, and simply acquire new issue Colt AR15s. That'll make a couple of collectors happy, and get you what you seem to want.

You're right.  On the SP1 it's simply a matter of using the A2 lower on an M16A1 upper....no biggie.

However the Sporter 2 has large pin front holes on the upper and lower.  Being an A1 fan, I want to make sure the Top end uses an M16A1 upper.  I have been thinking of getting one of the A1 uppers from CDNN in the next couple of seeks and then just swapping the small pin upper onto another A2 lower.

Of course there is the 1970s SMALL FGC holes wersuse the newer LARGE FCG holes so I may have to buy a complete lower FCG.....for both.....

friggin' Colt............

The point being that for a few hundred dollars I get the most updated, ALL COLT, A1s I can have.....something I can't do any other way. The saves me the itme and money from having to buy MORE ARs...which right now isn't my goal.  Sadly....I wish Colt would make the A1 guns again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to build some sort of M16 "clone" and keep it  Colt , you could have the front Lug
converted to small hole. There are a couple guys who can do it.

Otherwise , why screw up a good SP1 lower?

Actually , you could sell the lower to a ban State , buy a new lower , and have $$ left over
for mods or something.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you want to build some sort of M16 "clone" and keep it  Colt , you could have the front Lug
converted to small hole. There are a couple guys who can do it.

Otherwise , why screw up a good SP1 lower?

Actually , you could sell the lower to a ban State , buy a new lower , and have $$ left over
for mods or something

I am pretty much an AR minimalist....however...helping out the gang in the ban states would make me feel uber sweet.....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay, the project begins.  My State taxes just hit the bank so I am ordering two Fulton Armory C7 uppers today.  When my Fed comes in I'll be getting two Colt LE lowers from SAW Sales.

Once everything begins in earnest I will be posting before and after pics.

Don't touch that dial!!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:35:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thats much nicer than killing the others, I think you made a great choice by waiting and doing it this way.

I agree.  I was sick to death about ruining the slabbie lowers and the vintage uppers, I am much happier I went this route.  I know their are slabside fans that will enjoy those when they hit the market.

here's the plan:

SP2 Carbine:  New LE lower and FCG, new 4 pos M4 stock, Night sites, C7 Upper.  All other components will be switched into this build.

SP1A1 Rifle:  New LE lower and FCG, Night sites, C7 Upper.  All other components will be switched into this build.

As I have said before I'll do before and after photos.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm interested to see/hear the turn out of this one too!

Tag.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah!  Good choice.

And keep me posted when those lowers become available (hint hint hint)...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#11]
oops!!!  that wasn't an IM!!!  Sorry bout that!!!!

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:06:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I can't believe you are considering butchering those Colt's.  Especially the SP2 carbine, one of the rarest models made.  And a Colt "C7" style upper with large hole is always very hard to find.

Mark my words, ONE DAY YOU WILL REGRET parting out those Colt's.  IME, it would be better to sell them outright, versus parting them out.  Then at least an owner who "appreciates" them could enjoy them as original examples, instead of the frankenfifteens you propose to build that are a dime a dozen.

Paladin
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:50:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I can't believe you are considering butchering those Colt's.  Especially the SP2 carbine, one of the rarest models made.  And a Colt "C7" style upper with large hole is always very hard to find.

Mark my words, ONE DAY YOU WILL REGRET parting out those Colt's.  IME, it would be better to sell them outright, versus parting them out.  Then at least an owner who "appreciates" them could enjoy them as original examples, instead of the frankenfifteens you propose to build that are a dime a dozen.

Paladin

Holy Smokes!!!  A serious Colt fan!!!!!  Welcome aboard!!!!

Paladine, I have already considered your opinion serveral times in my head.  If it makes you feel a bit better, the SP1 was already converted to an A1 when I bought it so only the lower is original.

The Sporter II is another matter.....I will consider it further....but trust me that I am using only the best materials I can get to upgrade it and the lowers will be gladly soaked up by guys who love retro stuff.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top