Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/27/2005 3:10:53 PM EDT
So here's a brain-dead question for you:

How much brass/copper fouling in the bolt carrier/ chamber is considered normal?

I've been shooting Winchester 55gr 5.56 milspec and finding little pieces (less than .25mm bits) of bright metal all over the chamber, bolt carrier, and even on the shaft of the firing pin when I remove that from the carrier. I don't remember seeing this to such an extent on any previous AR's. Usually gets really noticable around 90-120 rounds.

Perhaps it could be the ammo? I actually had the primer seperate from the cartridge on one of these...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:44:58 PM EDT
that doesnt sound right. Something unusual is chewing up your ammo. If this is a new gun, check it for burrs or something that could be tearing up the ammo. if you don't find anything, try switching ammo and see if anything happens there.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:43:28 PM EDT
Also, are you using a new magazine? A new mag, with a tight spring & factory-fresh sharp edges at the lips, would produce such a problem. I've seen this with a couple of my guns.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:18:18 PM EDT
New rifle, not new magazines though.

Went through 280 of these Winchester rounds yesterday. In addition to the metal fouling, had two hangfires, three primer seperations, and several misfires/ misfeeds from malformed cartridge cases.

I'll go pick up some new ammo next week and see if that solves the problem. I know, I probably should've done that sooner, but I bought this Win 5.56 as a case, so now I gotta figure out how to return it...

Thanks for the input!
Top Top