Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/28/2003 2:19:45 PM EDT
well today i went to the range

well at 25yards i put 10 rounds right though a 1inch circle

at 50 yards it had a pretty spread out group and high. prob about 6 inches across

at 100yards they were really high and pretty speratic

i was using wolf 55grain rounds, and a leapers 4x20 scope

so my question is. am i using too crappy of ammo? do i need to step up to a higher grain round? scope issues?

thanks for any help

Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:29:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2003 2:31:39 PM EDT by Forest]
You have 2 issues. 1) Your scope is really high. 2) You're zeroing too close (unless you set the scope to '4' when shooting at 25 yards). Group size is a function of the rifle, ammo, shooter and optic. You're ammo isn't the best - but it should hold a 2"-4" group at 100 yards if you do your part. Your optic isn't the best - they are known to have their mount screws work loose (see the 4 screws holding the mount to the tube? - check to see if they are loose, if so remove them and LocTite them in place) Rifle should be fine. That leaves you - how good of a shooter are you? Go here and read this about zeroing a scope with a bullet drop compensator: [url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/zeroingabdcscope.msnw[/url] Read this about your scope (it covers the loose screw issue)[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/leapers4x20review.msnw?pgmarket=en-us[/url]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:35:44 PM EDT
thanks the reason i was doing it so close is because its a low power scope and cant see shit that far away i went to the my buddys gun shop today and he showed me a tasco 3-12x45 scope that was like $100.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 8:54:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Jason4522: the reason i was doing it so close is because its a low power scope and cant see shit that far away
View Quote
Jason, Most of us zero at 50 yards with our irons or 1X optics. If you can't hold a 3" group (or better) at that range then you need practice. At 25 yards this works out to 1.5" (max group size)
i went to the my buddys gun shop today and he showed me a tasco 3-12x45 scope that was like $100.
View Quote
I would recommend against it - you'd spend $100 more and have a scope that was only marginally 'superior' - yet you would still lack a scope mount AND it would be higher off the bore than your current optic (one of the orginal issues) The problem is not your scope's magnification. With 3x many of us can hit man sized targets to 500 meters (I'm fairly certain I could do it with 2x, but I don't have a 2x scope). Magnification allows you to see better - not shoot better. The rounds are hitting high because of the offset of the optice over the bore (the higher the optic the wose the issue) combined with the close (25y) initial crossover. Follow the links I posted above and your scope will be dialed in just fine. For general shooting set the scope to '2' and the bullet should be within 3"-3.5" of the point of aim to out past 200 Meters.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 7:20:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jason4522: well at 25yards i put 10 rounds right though a 1inch circle at 50 yards it had a pretty spread out group and high. prob about 6 inches across at 100yards they were really high and pretty speratic i was using wolf 55grain rounds, and a leapers 4x20 scope
View Quote
First of all, I would suggest a 50 yd zero like others have read. Please check out the instructions for Chuck Santose's [url=http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw]Improved Battlesight Zero[/url] The ballistics of 223's is such that the bullet is still rising at 100 yards. If you recall, the bullet travels in a parabolic arc after it leaves the muzzle. A 25 yard zero will mean the bullets will hit about 6-8" high at 100 due to the ballistics of the round and the high scope mounting. A 50 yard zero will still mean that your bullet will be a little high at 100 yards, but it won't be as bad. At 25 yards, you'll shoot a little low. Wolf is also not known for its accuracy. Just about anything will group better than that, so don't sweat it - get some better ammo and you ought to see your accuracy improve.
Top Top