Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 2:01:32 AM EDT
just got my set of troy front and rear sigths in yesterday...i remeber there was a thread about which way the conical hole on the small apature should face...away or toward the shooter...i dont remeber the conclusion...now on my service rifle and my le6920 the conical hole is toward the shooter (on the small apature)...on my troy sights the conical is away from the shooter on the small apature...but on the large apature it is facing away on all three sights which i think is correct...if any can post pictures of the correct way from the view of the shooter or just answer this thread in laymens terms would be awsome....
thanks
catfish
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:27:55 AM EDT
[#1]
According to Troy, there are or were, at least three different variations of the rear sight aperture. All are "correct," but the newest one is the one everyone talks about. The newest one has the small hole on the side of the shooters eye, and the large hole on the side away from the shooter.

The way to simulate that is to take a funnel and look through the small end. That is the way the newest aperture looks.

All work fine as well. You do not have a defective sight, if the apertures are different, you just have an earlier version.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:56:08 AM EDT
[#2]
yep
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried and mailed Troy, but no answer ...!

Does anybody have the size hole specs of the Troy folding BUIS?

May I use an XS sight systems aperture?

I like the XS´s .100 for general use, but for the big one .200 is enough, I don´t care  for XS´s .230 ...

Thanks in advance, H
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I tried and mailed Troy, but no answer ...!

Does anybody have the size hole specs of the Troy folding BUIS?

May I use an XS sight systems aperture?

I like the XS´s .100 for general use, but for the big one .200 is enough, I don´t care  for XS´s .230 ...

Thanks in advance, H

The Troy rear aperture is a proprietary design. You can't swap it out with that of another manufacturer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I am curious if other manufacturers sights are the "correct" or "incorrect" way.

Anyone know?

Sorry for the hijack.

TIA.

Seydou
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]
catfish,

My Troy has the conical side toward the shooter.

I believe this is the natural orientation, since the ARMS 40L, and the carry handle both use this.

I read here once, that  the orientation had beneficial properties in the "other direction" as well IIRC

(was that the Knights Armament representative? I think he was instrumental in the design/manufacture of many of the fundamental aspects of today's M16/M4 and its accessories)

Redfisher
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Only way mine will fit.  Guess this is correct?

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:00:27 AM EDT
[#8]
So, gents, please:

1:what are the diameters of the Troy,

2. are they same plane, and

3. do they take into account the 1/4 turn on the screw when changing apertures?

Thanx, H
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So, gents, please:

1:what are the diameters of the Troy,

2. are they same plane, and

3. do they take into account the 1/4 turn on the screw when changing apertures?

Thanx, H

1. I dont know but its plenty close to milspec.

2. Yes

3. Yes, this is the best rear sight made they are not retard idiots with no clue.  Is there actually a sight that does not account for the 1/4 turn?  I cant imagine this being a possibility.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Only way mine will fit.  Guess this is correct?

users.rcn.com/thejackal/upper.jpg

Umm...yes, that is how you MOUNT it.  They are talking about the peep hole itself; which direction the concave side is supposed to face.  The last I heard the concave side is facing the muzzle, where as on a carry handle the concave side of the sight is towards your eye.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top