Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 1:45:18 PM EST
what are the pros/cons of the trutium on a shtf type rifle? thanks
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:23:09 PM EST
Pros in SHTF situations?
Can see the front post in extremely dark situations.

Cons in SHTF situations?
None

Pros in normal world?
None

Cons in normal world?
An extra $50 you don't need to spend.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:57:47 PM EST
I tried a tritium front post years ago (not a Troy, but a Trijicon) but after playing with it I couldn't see the utility on a defensive weapon. If the target and target area is so dark that you need tritium to see your front sight, then what business would we have taking the shot in the first place?

I'm not talking about shooting varmints or paper, but possible bad guys in our home or whatever. If it's that dark then you haven't made a positive ID of your target, and that defaults to no-shoot.

Zombies, Mad Max, Fallujah...maybe that's different. Haven't been trained for war, so I'm not qualified to answer that one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:16:49 PM EST
I like a tritium front sight post on any irons-only firearm I own, and have had good luck with the Trijicon unit on a C7/M4 carbine. Although the money may be better spent saving up for an RDS or weapon light if you don't have one, I find a tritium FSP to be an economical solution to acquiring a good sight picture in low/no light conditions. Whether or not it's worth the $50 is up to you, but I find the major advantage over a standard front sight post is knowing where your front sight is at all times (I have the insert zeroed to POI @50yds.), as well as enhancing the utility of a weapon light on an irons-only gun at extended outdoor ranges. The usefulness of the tritium FSP is more pronounced when using an LED light with limited throw, where just enough light exists to see your target, but acquiring a sight picture is still difficult if not impossible. The tritium front sight allows you to keep focused on the front sight instead of searching for it in the dark, and in my experience, and the experience of others who have shot my carbine at night alongside a model with standard irons, a tritium FSP is pivotal in getting low light hits on any firearm only equipped with iron sights. One minor downside for daylight use, especially when used on a carbine length system, is the thickness of the front sight, due to the width of the tritium vial insert. This added width will obscure more of a given target than the standard front sight post. If you decide to buy one, I can recommend the Trijicon unit, which uses a 2 part blade and base construction, making it possible to adjust elevation in 1/4 turn increments, as opposed to the full revolution required by other units, like the XS. Bottom line for me (and I'm a low-speed nobody), if the gun doesn't have an RDS, I'm fitting a tritium FSP.
Top Top