Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/18/2015 7:38:27 AM EST
I have an AR I am tuning as a defensive rifle. It is a Sig M400 and I have put a few upgrades on it. (Quad Rail, Vertical Grip, Weapon light) I am looking for tritium sights to back up my optic (currently a Bushnell 1xMP but will be upgrading it later.)

The factory rear sight is a Magpul MBUS flip up rear. It aligns nicely through the optic and lays under it when folded down.

What I am wanting to put on the rifle is a folding (metal) rear sight with tritium dots and a tritium front sight post. I see that Yankee Hill Machine makes a set that looks like it will do nicely.

Does anyone have any experience with the AMG 250 sight set from Yankee Hill or another folding rear/front post that have tritium?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:38:54 AM EST
I have the 3 dot Trijicon tritium sights on my Glock. They work well in that role. Muzzle flash, depending on the ammo, can make their use problematic on followup shots, but on the all important first one, they are helpful.

I do not use them on rifles. I defer to the experience of others. I have two concerns: 1. Long guns have plenty of room for a tactical weapon light without adding much bulk. Tactical lights work very well. 2. I don't think you could see the tritium on the rear sight on an AR, just like you don't see the rear sight when you mount the weapon and look through, not at, the aperture. You do that naturally when you look at the front sight. I wonder if rear tritium might be practically useless.

A tactical light to identify the target and a micro red dot make more sense to me. If you don't want to run a weapon light, perhaps a front tritium insert alone might be worth a try.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:30:13 AM EST
I have the Troy versions on one of my rifles. I thought they were a good idea at one point, also based on how useful the handgun versions seem to be. The tritium inserts are so small that you have to be in almost total darkness to be able to see them at all. And once you're in an environment that is that dark, you're probably not going to be able to see your target at all. In my opinion, I would agree with the post above on the use of a weapon light. Save your $$ and go that way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:59:26 AM EST
Never used them but the only concern would be the rear sight being to brite

I could see the use in the front sight but not the rear
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:56:02 PM EST
Just get an xs sights stripe front sight post and leave the rear alone. Any tritium on the back will draw attention to the rear sight which is exactly what you don't want to do.
http://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993117&CAT=8275 Linky to the post I mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:05:42 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FishinTexasAg05:
Never used them but the only concern would be the rear sight being to brite

I could see the use in the front sight but not the rear
View Quote

I have Trijicon HD night sights on 2 handguns, and Truglo's on another. The Troy rifle version, if I had to "estimate", is about 1/3 the brightness of the handgun version. They're a waste of money, in my opinion, on a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:33:06 PM EST
Fair enough. What metal folding rear sights have folks used that they liked?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:15:27 PM EST
The regular magpul mbus are GTG and proven, but if you really need metal sights, Magpul mbus pro or the KAC Micro.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:39:28 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ej6fade:
The regular magpul mbus are GTG and proven, but if you really need metal sights, Magpul mbus pro or the KAC Micro.
View Quote

MBUS are great like mentioned I prefer a fixed rear sight so I use a cut down carry handle but that's more preference.
Top Top