Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/13/2004 4:12:08 PM EST
besides the nice visual effect, are these specialty ammo worth getting for any practical reason? i see these on gunbroker all the time, and other places for some high prices. I just learned about 5.56 Raufus high explosive ammo (twice as explosive as regular incendiary ammo) going for about $2 a round on gunbroker, and not sure if that would even be pratical
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:44:24 PM EST
Tracer is fun, especially at night, and where you have room to let them fly and burn out while still way up in the air...

I shoot them occassionally when in WV, we have room to aim up-out to the big mountain and they burn out in flight, so fire and hitting anybody in the deep woods is not much of a concern..
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:41:31 PM EST
Tracer is definitely worth it.

The other rounds only have a military application and are not worth the [high] price except for maybe a few rounds for show. In any case, tracers are far less dangerous than those other rounds from a fire perspective and like he said, unless you shoot up in the air or into a rocky cliff, you should be aware of the fire hazard tracers present.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:55:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By Seamonkey84:
besides the nice visual effect, are these specialty ammo worth getting for any practical reason? i see these on gunbroker all the time, and other places for some high prices. I just learned about 5.56 Raufus high explosive ammo (twice as explosive as regular incendiary ammo) going for about $2 a round on gunbroker, and not sure if that would even be pratical

Tracers: fun but expensive...

Incinedrary: Ok for shooting cans of gasoline, otherwise pointless

HE: Worthless for calibers under 20mm... 'Novelty' rounds aside, there is no practical use for HE ammo in small-arms calibers... You just can't fit enough payload in the shell, and even if you could the ATF limit is 1/4oz of payload -> no noticable boom...

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:37:51 AM EST
Tracers aren't too bad cost wise if you reload them. Which is what I do and they light just fine.
Top Top