Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2005 3:28:59 PM EDT
I am awaiting approval on a SBR and want to get a Bushmaster 11.5" complete upper. They have a fluted and unfluted barrel version. What would be the advantagess/disadvantages of the fluted barrel? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
If you never had a fluted barrel well then get one and make your own opinions . They are lighter , stiffer , and disapate heat better . RL
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't they wear out faster or something?...I thought I heard that and I don't remember the source so don't quote me here.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#4]
No, there is no problem with fluted barrels wearing out faster.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#5]
i would go with the fluted, personally
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Ok, there is only ONE reason to get a fluted barrel.....
   They look cool !  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No, there is no problem with fluted barrels wearing out faster.

Ok thats cool then...is there ANY cons to a fluted barrel?...heck if there isn't when I put on my FF rail and my A4 upper I think fluted looks sick so I might just have that done.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd go fluted for the aforementioned reasons: weight, heat dissipation, stiffness.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The only good flute is a skin flute...., and that is only if you are catch'in......, not pitch'in!!!

Muff
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep in mind that the fluted barrel will only be stiffer than a barrel of the smaller contour.  An unfluted barrel will be stiffer than the same barrel being fluted.  Weight savings is what I beleive is the primary reason for fluting.  Plus, it looks cool too.  Since Bushy's 11.5's are heavy barreled, I'd go with the fluting to remove as much weight as you can.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The only good flute is a skin flute...., and that is only if you are catch'in......, not pitch'in!!!

Muff

Now, I know I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd, but don't you have that backward?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:12:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a 20' WOA CMP match barrel so any weight I can get off of it would be great.

How much does it usually cost?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:23:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Realistically, the weight savings are MINIMAL on a gun like this and unless you're shooting full auto the cool-down factor shouldn't be a problem.  Also are they fluting H-bars or standard barrels?  I have always preferred H-bars for my action rifle competition, and have been told that full H-bars are more likey to hold thier zero than a non-h-bar when they get hot.  

I bought my 11.5 upper for my RR about a year ago and couldn't decide on the fluted either, but decided against it, even though I shoot it in FA.  I thought a full bull barrel would be better than fluting, and when it gets too hot I just switch to my 20" upper.  

I also considered fluting just for looks, but on a 11.5 rifle you really wouldn't see much, so don't do it for that

Here's a pic of my bushy 11.5 :

Just my .02  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top