Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2010 5:23:11 PM EDT
Were the "duckbill" three prong and improved three prong flash hiders timed to line up in any particular orientation, or were they just torqued on with the standard lock washer and left in whatever position they ended up in?  The USGI M16 series variation guide seems to imply the use of the standard lock washer, but I thought I'd ask to be sure.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
No timing required, torque it on and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No timing required, torque it on and you're good to go.

This is what I thought. I do, however orient the split in the washer to be facing downward.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I like them with a prong at 12 o'clock and try to set them that way, but I do think they were just torqued down to where ever they stopped.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I time mine by turning them as hard as i can by hand.
Voila, it's timed!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I do, however orient the split in the washer to be facing downward.

Same here.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:47:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:25:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Round and round it goes, where it stops nobody knows!

Ha,ha. Yeah I'm in the one prong @ the 6 o'clock camp. Its been put to me by others that it cuts down on dirt and debris being kicked up when firing from the prone. Sounds reasonable. Had my Sigs permed 552 flash hider timed in this way. But yeah back in the day Colt didn't pay attention to this issue most likely. Just torqued em down and off to "the suck" they went.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top