Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2004 5:12:39 PM EDT
Hello,
My first post in the discussion forums and a big time newbie. please forgive my lack of knowledge . thanks to the admin and mods for all the hard work and the pointing out of the less than favorable sellers/traders to protect the likes of me. h.gif

http://www.cavalryarms.com/rifles.html

Has anyone used one of these or know anyone who has?
I'm just trying to "build" my first AR, but also want ya'lls professional opinions too.
lifetime warrantee and free replacement sounds good, but customer service??
Thanks again

Chris
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one and like it a lot. The CAV15 lower is great if you want to build a lightweight rifle and don't need the collapsing stock (post-AWB). My Mk2 runs like a champ. Lastly, the guys at Cav Arms are first rate, and stand by their product 1000%.

However...

I'm not totally sure I'd recommend one for a first timer. You may be happier with a regular aluminum lower for your first rifle, as it will give you a few more options (stock, grip etc.) and goes together very easily (if you choose a CAV15, get the lower pre-assembled by Cav Arms). That said, in my view no AR collection would be complete without a CAV15. Here's a pic of mine:

Link Posted: 7/21/2004 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
For some reason the picture won't show for me. But appreciate the insite.
it seems to me, (newbie) that the lower doesn't really take any recoil that would make the polymer crack or in any way break.

as long as the buffer tube does it's job. is that correct?

Like I said, I'm a newbie of course, please set me straight if that's off.
thanks again

Chris
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
"I know some people complain about they're being plastic but if anyone wants to come by my house I'll toss one of my cavarms off the roof of my 3 storie house onto the driveway if they'll do it with their aluminm lower and I bet it'll still work, not sure how many guys would try that with an aluminum lower"

that's some faith there. hank

Have you had any problems with cold weather with the plastic?

Plastic and cold worries me too.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
For some reason the picture won't show for me. But appreciate the insite.
it seems to me, (newbie) that the lower doesn't really take any recoil that would make the polymer crack or in any way break.

as long as the buffer tube does it's job. is that correct?

Like I said, I'm a newbie of course, please set me straight if that's off.
thanks again

Chris

The lower of a 5.56/223 AR really doesn't endure much stress during firing - the upper does most of the heavy lifting. A CAV15 Mk2 receiver should handle equal or greater abuse than an aluminum lower. My old Mk1 receiver did crack a bit, but this in no way affected functionality, and in any case Cav Arms replaced/upgraded it to a Mk2 for free as they did for Aimless... a great bunch to do business with. If you really like the idea of a CAV15 rifle, then go for it - you won't go far wrong, and can always build an aluminum lower later.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
"I know some people complain about they're being plastic but if anyone wants to come by my house I'll toss one of my cavarms off the roof of my 3 storie house onto the driveway if they'll do it with their aluminm lower and I bet it'll still work, not sure how many guys would try that with an aluminum lower"

that's some faith there. thank you for the information.

Chris

Not sure about the cold - we worry more about heat here (it was 113F today). I see no reason why a CAV15 should not work as well as an aluminum lower in cold weather... maybe even better, as the thermal expansion coefficient for the polymer is probably lower than for aluminum.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#7]
customer service sure sounds like a winner with the cav arms products.

thanks again you guys, great information.  sounds like I have a decission to make. hinking.gif

Chris
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one of their lowers on my .45acp M3 mag rifle.  Of course theirs is the only game available for such a build.  Their $30 replacement if you F*** it up deal is great, I could drill on the lower with confidence

Link Posted: 7/21/2004 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Not sure about the cold - we worry more about heat here (it was 113F today). I see no reason why a CAV15 should not work as well as an aluminum lower in cold weather... maybe even better, as the thermal expansion coefficient for the polymer is probably lower than for aluminum.

thanks yet again.

113, yeeeeouch, I'm sweltering at 90. I feel for you man.

Chris

Mr45auto:  
" I haved one of their lowers on my .45acp M3 mag rifle. Of course theirs is the only game available for such a build. Their $30 replacement if you F*** it up deal is great, I could drill on the lower with confidence"

I read a little on the 45 version. and also thought, man as a newbie, I sure could screw up. $30 sounds good to me too
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I likem!!  Never thought about the winter thing?
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 12:53:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I love mine.
I beet it on a regular basis and it keeps on going.
I think I'm approaching about 6,000 rnds.
After a while you start to lose track.
The lower/upper reciever fit is frog pussy titeYou won't hate it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 3:20:57 AM EDT
[#13]
thanks again everyone. sounds like my worries on the plastic/polymer were unfounded.
Chris
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#14]
virginia22, the Cav Arms lowers are great, I have one...but I tend to agree with whoever it was that suggested not getting one as your first.  A traditional lower that affords you all the options as to the kind of buttstock/grip combo you want may be a better buy.  Half the fun of getting an AR is ordering/swapping parts on 'em.  

The Cav Arms lowers feel different in terms of the grip and texture, too.  Not bad, but certainly not conventional.  

Now, if you've accepted the fact that this won't be your only AR, go ahead and get one lol.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a MK1 and I Love it. It is longer than an a2, and I'm a bug guy so it is great. The guys at CAV arms are great too. Excellent product.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#16]
 Lot's of folks who know me know I do NOT like plastic framed guns for my own reasons...that being said the CAV ARMS guns ROCK.  I got to shoot an early Mark II and I REALLY LOVED IT.  They point great and have an awesome feel...very solid.  Plus the CAV ARMs guys are VERY easy to deal with, are a lot of fun and they back up their product no questions asked.  Buy a lower and build one up to your specs for the fun, the learning experience and just for the hell of it.

edited to add...I've even been thinking about it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got 3.
A yellow DeWalt special MkI
A coyote Brown MkII
and a blue MkII that the Cav arms guys are changing out to a mkII for me right now.

they are sweet and if you get a mkII the womenz like them cause they are shorter stocked than the old ones are are incredibly light.  i have a lightweight 16" bbl upper on the coyote one and if feels like a squirt gun.  You can shoot it like a pistol with no problem.  I've never weighed it but it can't be more than 5 lbs if that.

They are a straight shooting bunch of guys and will tell you up front what something is going to cost or how long it will take.  They will also get right back to you if you email them.  I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#18]
thanks again everyone. Keep them coming.
thanks again
Chris
Link Posted: 7/23/2004 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm going in   houghts
[http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=217815]

I think the blue will be my first build.

EDIT: to add

thanks to all for the advice.
After  reading about CCA, I think I'll pass.
Nice to have access to the names of those who'd rip anyone off.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/23/2004 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I read the feedback forum and didn't see where the problem was resolved, Has it been to satisfaction? or is he still in dutch for bad sales?

Please reply

Chris
Link Posted: 7/23/2004 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I read the feedback forum and didn't see where the problem was resolved, Has it been to satisfaction? or is he still in dutch for bad sales?

Please reply

Chris

To be fair I got my coyote brown lower from Trevor at the same price as he has these two blue ones listed and got it in 4 days since he had my guys FFL on file from the SEBR deal.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2004 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#22]
he got right back to me same day on the email question.
can't help but be afraid at this point. not like I can afford to lose the $180. he
Chris
Link Posted: 7/23/2004 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Are any of these being used in combat?
Anyone have a picture of a CavArms AR in use in Iraq?
Link Posted: 7/23/2004 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Only with a private contractor, they are NOT in use by the military to my knowledge.  I dont know if any of the contractors out there use em but I'd think it's possible?  

Btw, what difference does it make if they're in Iraq?
Seems as tough as any other AR I've owned.
Link Posted: 7/23/2004 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only with a private contractor, they are NOT in use by the military to my knowledge.  I dont know if any of the contractors out there use em but I'd think it's possible?  

Thats what I was thinking! Wierd

AaronP
Link Posted: 7/23/2004 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#26]
My advice - If you want a CavArms lower, get one - I don't think you will be disappointed.

I would, however, seek an alternate source.  CCA certainly does not have a corner on the CavArms market.  They aren't even a CavArms dealer any more.  

You should at least take a look at the SEBR forum before you buy from Jughead Juggernaut.

If you have other questions, feel free to IM me.

Good luck with your first AR.
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No DIfference, Just a thought!
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Last time I checked Ameetec Arms was selling them for $205 assembled.
Link Posted: 7/25/2004 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
My advice - If you want a CavArms lower, get one - I don't think you will be disappointed.

I would, however, seek an alternate source.  CCA certainly does not have a corner on the CavArms market.  They aren't even a CavArms dealer any more.  

You should at least take a look at the SEBR forum before you buy from Jughead Juggernaut.

If you have other questions, feel free to IM me.

Good luck with your first AR. hr

Appreciate the offer slash.:t

I may very well PM you here soon.

N3rday, I checked out their site, and they've gone up to $300, did I maybe miss a "sale" section?

thanks again for all the help everybody.
this is going to be addictive, isn't it?

Chris

Link Posted: 7/25/2004 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#30]
This one shot 1K rounds in three hours. When i got home i threw it in the dishwasher.

As far as I'm concerned, if it were my first AR i would buy aluminum. For my second and third ARs, though, I would buy plastic.

Link Posted: 7/25/2004 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I guess you dodged getting called up then, Ian?
Link Posted: 7/25/2004 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I haven't dodged anything. If my time were up I'd be in a pickle suit.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Just checked Ameetec's site.
Stripped lower $150.
Complete assembled lower $230.
I got one recently in Coyote Brown. Very good quality.
Service/shipping from Ameetec was fairly quick, even taking into account I snail-mailed the order and it came FedEx Ground.
My only gripe with the CavArms lower is the forward takedown/pivot pin. Seems a little too easy to remove. The receiver holes are ok. Looks like the ball at the end of the pin could use a stiffer spring.
Get one. You won't be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#34]
ian187,
Is that Tactical Pink?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#36]
He would not be caught

because he who laughs makes a better target
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I've read enough around here and talked to Russell (employee) enough to know that their customer service is top-notch. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them. If you DO manage to screw it up, it's cheap to replace.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
ian187,
Is that Tactical Pink?

Yes, Yes it is.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Cav arms rocks.
The people are nice
The rifles are top notch, and the lowers are awesome.
I've had mine for about 6 months, and put about 2,000 rounds through it.
Whenever i had a question, stupid or not, they always answered it quickly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

that's some faith there. thank you for the information.

Chris

I shot mine in sub zero temperatures in feb.
 Kind of cool to see the barrel steaming after like 5 shots.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:37:48 AM EDT
[#41]
My Mk II works great with a RRA midlength upper as well as with an OLY .45 upper.

The trigger pull is quite a bit heavier than any other AR I have fired. I imagine the pull will improve with a few thousand more rounds.

The safety was not properly tensioned. It did not "snick" on/off. I put a small spacer under it and now it is fine. Cav Arms told me they assemble them this way to make them easier to disassemble.

Despite the above,  I am pleased with the lower and would recommend it. I give Cav Arms credit for being an innovative company that stands behind their products.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Karaya1,
Which BUIS is that on your rifle? LMT? Cut carry handle?
Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, I finally stumbled bac kto the thread LOL

I got the lower from juggernaut. went pretty smoothly other than a grueling lack of  replies during the already worrysome sale.

All A ok though.

I have only gotten to mount the lower and fire about 30 rounds. (time constraints...sigh) overall it hold pretty well, and functioned as normal. trigger was even nicely crisp  (to me, no pro here)

thanks for all the help and advice.

Chris

PS:
ian187

In the dishwasher, neat idea. may have to try that in the future.  Thanks

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top