Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2017 7:53:46 PM EDT
Many M-LOK hand guards have a hole near the receiver.  What is the purpose of the hole? It looks to me like a QD sling swivel placment hole but I don't see anyone using it like that. and the location seems awkward.

So what is this hole for?

Attachment Attached File

not my pic  but the hole is clearly visible.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]
yup...and its not bad for a 2 point

and there is also one out at the end of the hand guard as well
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, and they are in a good spot...

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep..... both are in pretty good spots actually

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Not trying to be an A-hole, but how have you been here for 13 years and not figured out what a QD sling attachment hole looks like?

Kidding....but seriously
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not trying to be an A-hole, but how have you been here for 13 years and not figured out what a QD sling attachment hole looks like?

Kidding....but seriously
View Quote
The middle of a rifle seems to be an odd place for a sling mount I understood the front end mount but the middle one makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]
To me it works a lot better than attaching the sling to the end of the hand guard. When attached at the end the sling is constantly getting in the way when I grab the hand guard.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The middle of a rifle seems to be an odd place for a sling mount I understood the front end mount but the middle one makes no sense to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kidding....but seriously
What rails have you seen that have the QD hole in the middle?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:31:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
just like you posted a few post above that is near the middle of the rifle.

It is unfamiliar to me so I don't really know how to better describe it.

yet the comment of it keeping the sling out of the way hits home. Slings are always in the way when placed near the FSB.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:48:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
he said "middle of the rifle" not "middle of the handguard"
so he means on the barrel nut area
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Try it, and see what works.

When I use a sling attachment at the end of the handguard, the sling gets in my way when I do reloads.  I use the QD at the back of the handguard, and on the end plate.  Works pretty awesome for me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I see..

OP.. Up close to the receiver is actually quite a popular location to attach a sling. I have  attached a sling on QD mounts on either side of the receiver.
I keeps the gun close to you when slung and gives good control over the gun when you sling it to transition to pistol. etc
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#13]
The front and back of the receiver is my preferred mounting locations. It allows decent retention, while not getting in the way. Once I tried it, I never went back.  It now a mandatory option on all my builds, especially my pistols.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#14]
The front and back of the receiver is my preferred mounting locations. It allows decent retention, while not getting in the way. Once I tried it, I never went back.  It now a mandatory option on all my builds, especially my pistols.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kidding....but seriously
My Daniel Defense Omega, which is a Picatinny based drop in quad has been in production quite a while.  Note the QD socket location.  Works quite well there.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#16]
The holes at the ends didn't work for me so I used a MLock QD and put it where I want. Sling goes where red line is. Also I shoot lefty
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#17]
If y'all knew how to use a sling to snug things up and improve your shooting you'd understand why slings were originally placed at the FSB.  I know the Army stopped teaching it years ago but I'm betting the USMC probably still teaches it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a "front of handguard" sling mount location guy. It does get in the way more, but it slings on my BACK better than any other location. I'm not a super tac, high speed low drag, operator as F... so I prefer setups that allow the possibility of front slung, but mainly back slung (which front of handguard, and rear of stock is the most secure way for that).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top