Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2006 1:10:51 AM EDT
What say you Marty? I know Ive asked this question before. but now the 6.8 spc is getting a larger following (hornady). The unformed brass has to be there, and somebody has got to do the footwork......... that is.... YOU got to do the footwork.

what pressures are we looking at?
whatever happened to Reeds frangible load?
are there any solid core loads?
    that 458 african grand slam load you talked about left me wanting!
who's on first?
whatever happened to the t-shirts?
why is the sky blue?
what other loads can the 338 spectre handle?
sabots...... a possibility?

What say you Marty?!?!?!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Why go through all that extra work to deal with 6.8 cases, when you can buy 10mm Auto cases from Starline and form them in one pass?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#2]
let's see what I can answer.
I agree, use the 10mm Mag brass or buy it formed from us.
The frangibles are a no-go for now unless we generate enough requests to justify buying the equipment to make the bullets, Marty is trying to get someone to make them.
Barnes solids in .338 are available.
no, Who's playing short-stop today, What's on first.
dunno on the T-Shirts, Marty?
The sky is blue because <enter your God's name here> made it that wayheSabots? Working on it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Asked marty about this a little while ago. Brass is too thick at case neck.

Why go through all that extra work to deal with 6.8 cases, when you can buy 10mm Auto cases from Starline and form them in one pass?
Increase in pressure thus adding velocity & versitility. Ron
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

unformed 6.8 spc brass is to thick to form to 338? if its straight brass then whats the problem?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
let's see what I can answer.
I agree, use the 10mm Mag brass or buy it formed from us.
The frangibles are a no-go for now unless we generate enough requests to justify buying the equipment to make the bullets, Marty is trying to get someone to make them.
Barnes solids in .338 are available.
no, Who's playing short-stop today, What's on first.
dunno on the T-Shirts, Marty?
The sky is blue because <enter your God's name here> made it that way
The .338 can and will handle everything from the 160 to the 300 right now, the 350's are still a work in progress.
Sabots? Working on it.

barnes solids sounds good. sabots sound even better!! what about the hawk 250's with the near 1"expansion? when are you selling those? and what 350's are you talking about Reed?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

unformed 6.8 spc brass is to thick to form to 338? if its straight brass then whats the problem?

6.8 is rated to higher pressure.  Plus a longer case.  Thus the cup from which is was drawn will have some taper to it.  If you take a 6.8 "basic" case and trim it from 1.61+ to 1.250, you will find the case wall to be too thick.  You can then spend time turning necks, but you will also find that what you gained in pressure, you lost in volume.  The end result is a lot of work for not much gain.  And the idea behind the round was to push a 300 SMK at 980 fps.  The less violently you do that, the quieter it will be ... and quiet was what is was all about
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

6.8 is rated to higher pressure.  Plus a longer case.  Thus the cup from which is was drawn will have some taper to it.  If you take a 6.8 "basic" case and trim it from 1.61+ to 1.250, you will find the case wall to be too thick.  You can then spend time turning necks, but you will also find that what you gained in pressure, you lost in volume.  The end result is a lot of work for not much gain.  And the idea behind the round was to push a 300 SMK at 980 fps.  The less violently you do that, the quieter it will be ... and quiet was what is was all about

What about saboted rounds? Will pressure or volume be the deciding factor there?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#8]
The mystical sabot ... we had heard rumors of a sabot 338 outside, something smaller inside (not saying what at this time).  We ran numbers on it and it suggested the diminutive 338 Spectre would push the light load at 2400+ fps from a 16" carbine, giving it 500+ yard reach ...  No word on the availability of those sabots, however.

I do have some 6.8 basic brass and formed a 338.  The original version from the 10mm Mag brass holds 28.8 gr water.  The 6.8 based version holds 25.6 gr water.  So more that 10% reduction in volume.  I used the higher pressure (50000 v 37500) and lower volume and compared performance in QL for a 16" carbine

160 Barnes X - old 1800, new 1920

180 BT - old 1800, new 1900

200 BST - old 1700, new 1750

225 SST - old 1550, new 1600

250 SMK - old 1450, new 1500

So with exception of the 180 gr and lighter bullets, all it gets you is 50 FPS and again, the intent was the big heavy ones at subsonic speed ...

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 1:22:56 AM EDT
[#9]

and so dies a dream.............

no matter. I'll just wait for the 338 rhino  

*wink wink*
*nudge nudge*
say no more.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
no matter. I'll just wait for the 338 rhino  

*wink wink*
*nudge nudge*
say no more.

ahh, yesss, rhiiinnnooo.  Must be patient.  470 rhino. patience.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top