Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 8/23/2006 8:46:56 AM EDT
Range owner got stuck with 80k rounds of the stuff, didn't know it was "grade b", selling for $100/k w/.50 can, which is significantly below the price he paid for it.

I don't have any pictures but I'm thinking of getting some. Anyone got any opinions on how 'dangerous' it may be to fire this stuff in terms of possible damage/KBs?

Most of the rounds look perfectly fine, some are slightly discolored a sort of orange color, and maybe 1/4 or 1/5 have pretty heavy bluish-green corrosion. Discarding the heavily corroded ones I think the rest would be ok for plinking.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:22:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2006 9:30:06 AM EDT by liles1977]
It should be fine. A lot of people have been using the tarnished/corroded stuff (myself included) with no problems whatsoever.

I wouldn't use the really corroded stuff, but I know people are with no ill effects reported.

Sounds like a great deal. I would be all over a few cans at that price.

ETA: Do a search for more accounts of this ammo's performance( have been several posts on the subject in the last two weeks)
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:38:00 AM EDT
Buy as much as you can 100 for 1000 is pretty damn good. Alot of the people who bought the Guat and got discolored ones say they shoot fine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:39:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:50:47 AM EDT
Thanks for the input guys.

I'll grab a can next time I'm down there and see how it performs, and stock up if all goes well.

I feel kind of bad buying it for that price, but it's better than him not moving it at all.. right now it's just taking up space. Guess the local market isn't so good for the stuff.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:57:01 AM EDT
At that price of $100 per K, i'd buy 5 cans right now F2F if I was anywhere near NH.

Any way you could ask him if he's willing to ship?
$100 per K and $25-$30 for shipping would still be an amazing deal!

HS1
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:00:03 AM EDT
If I was near you, I'd buy 10K at that price.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:16:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MisterPX:
If I was near you, I'd buy 10K at that price.

+1 million
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:45:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:48:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:52:03 AM EDT
FALARAK, you're after cooler weather and the ammo is just an excuse!

I think that I'd go the same way, though not buying 80K... I don't get enough range time to justify it. Not the expenditure, the storage space!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:44:51 PM EDT
I don't know if he'll ship or not, or how much he'd charge, but I'll ask and let everyone know.

Sears just informed me that the "while supplies last" W/D I ordered did not "last", so I have some money that should go towards that somewhere else but.. I think it's going to go to the range instead for at least a few cans of this stuff before I set you hounds loose on him. ;)

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:22:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Give me his name.... if he will ship it, I might buy 80K.

Wish the drive wasnt so far.

That is a steal and you should buy all you can afford.

I'm with you... 80k for $8k plus about $500 to ship to me the way I figure it... a steal.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:33:09 PM EDT
I'd jump on the deal. My stuff looks great and if it goes bang like everyone else is reporting then that price is a damned steal! Hell, you could buy it all and sell it for profit right here on Arfcom if you wanted to!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:37:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:51:36 PM EDT
Will he mail it? Will YOU mail it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:08:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2006 5:10:56 AM EDT by allenNH]
Well, I just came home with 2k rounds after looking at what was there and speaking with Jim (the range owner). He said he's not interested in shipping it out himself, really just due to the time and energy involved.

When he bought the stuff they looked through the top of each can, said it looked good, and wrote the check. Turns out the 'bad' stuff had been hidden or settled towards the bottom of the can.

Here's a picture of the stuff, click for the fullsize (1.8MB) one.

edit -- fixed image. then broke it. then fixed it again.

Should shoot just fine the more I look at it and feel it, none of them appear to be dented or showing any signs of wear beyond the corrosion. Some of the rounds are questionable and I'll probably leave them be.

Anyone local or willing to make the trip, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to let you take it off his hands though.. so for the plug. ;)

Got this stuff from JLM & Sons aka Manchester Firing Line, in Manchester NH. Great shop/range, cool people. I've bought all my firearms from them except the Mossberg and I shoot there at least once a week.

Do me a favor and don't call harassing the guy to try and convince him to ship, he's absolutely not interested. ;)

I on the other hand might be convinced to pick up, pack, and ship the odd can or two for fellow ARFComers when I'm out there every week if you don't say "send me 10k" or even "send me 5k", if you want it all at once that is.. heh.

Should get a chance to shoot it this weekend and see how it is, definitely cheaper plinking ammo than the RG, which I guess I can just 'stockpile' until this stuff runs out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:41:18 PM EDT
I want some Too!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:21:13 AM EDT
Throw it in the brass polisher with a little flitz for 30-45 min's.

I have a few thousand rounds down the pipe now without any probs...

I love the stuff.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:51:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2006 12:52:06 AM EDT by MarkNH]
Thanks for posting this Allen. The firing line is just up the road from me so I think I will head up there later and get a case or two.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:16:30 AM EDT
JLM ships all the time... well known for selling ammo... unusual he doesn't want to ship this stuff.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:49:55 AM EDT
I havent had any problem shooting this stuff but separate out the corroded stuff and take a good close look at it I found a few that had pin holes in the brass underneath the corrosion. MOST were ok but a few looked too dicey to risk. given the pinholes the brass is shot and cant be reloaded or anything. broke em down,popped the primer and scrapped the brass. Still at $100/k if 80% is shootable not a bad deal. especially if that 80% leaves relaodable brass etc ..
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:52:26 AM EDT
No luck getting some: Allen got a special deal and the owner is now sorting the rest for a gov contract, the reject from that should be on sale in a week or two.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:07:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MarkNH:
No luck getting some: Allen got a special deal and the owner is now sorting the rest for a gov contract, the reject from that should be on sale in a week or two.

Oh bugger. I didn't know I was anyone special to rate a 'deal', he didn't tell me it was a secret or anything. I knew he was sorting it out but he made noise more than once about "I'm stuck with 80k rnds of this crap!"

Well I'm sure my special privs are revoked now since I had to open my trap.. doh! ;)
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 3:54:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By allenNH:

Originally Posted By MarkNH:

Oh bugger. I didn't know I was anyone special to rate a 'deal', he didn't tell me it was a secret or anything. I knew he was sorting it out but he made noise more than once about "I'm stuck with 80k rnds of this crap!"

Well I'm sure my special privs are revoked now since I had to open my trap.. doh! ;)

well thanks for trying to help the rest of us anyway, it was nice of you!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:24:56 PM EDT
Damn, I was just about to take a little drive over and pick up 15k or so.

Bugger.
Top Top