Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 5:02:10 PM EDT
I have a M4 with regular M4 handguards,  I want a flip up front site and gas block.   How easy is it to do myself.   Just drive out the pins and slip the other one on?  Do I have to take off the Flash hider?  
TIA
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Check the "Build it Yourself" Forum.

It is actually quite easy if you have the right tools.  My favorite tool for this is the Brownell's front sight block, a round orange plastic form that holds the assembly while you beat it like a red-headed stepchild at the family picnic that owes you money.

G
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a M4 with regular M4 handguards,  I want a flip up front site and gas block.   How easy is it to do myself.   Just drive out the pins and slip the other one on?  Yes.  Do I have to take off the Flash hider? Yes.
TIA

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#4]
It is SIMPLE to do in the sense that you merely have to drive the pins out and wack the front sight off with a mallet to take it off. Then slip on the replacement folding sight making sure that the hole of the gas port on the barrel is aligned with that of the gas block.

EASY will depend if your rifle "cooperates"! If the pins don't stick stubornly on your rifle and the front sight comes off with a few wacks of the mallet ... then the process IS going to be easy!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Easy also depends on whether or not your flash suppressor is soldered on.  If it is, you would probably be better off having it done for you by ADCO or other competent shop.

Seydou
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#6]
If your close to the Springboro exit I could show you one weekend or any day of the week after hours at my shop. Its very easy so long as you have the tools.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If your close to the Springboro exit I could show you one weekend or any day of the week after hours at my shop. Its very easy so long as you have the tools.

Hey. I am in Centerville.  Where do you shoot?

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey. I am in Centerville.  Where do you shoot?

Here:  www.millercampground.com/

Check in the hometown forums for local shoots and get togethers.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Taper pins can suck taking them out.try and get them out with one or two hits.you should have seen me when I learned what a taper pin is.fortunately it was not on a AR and it was a gear shaft at work.I laff now it pissed me off then.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I would like to do the same thing to my bushmaster. Problem is I can't get the muzzle brake off. How can you tell if it soldered or welded on?
xxxx
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would like to do the same thing to my bushmaster. Problem is I can't get the muzzle brake off. How can you tell if it soldered or welded on?
xxxx

KEYWORD --->  muzle brake... is the barrel shorter than 16" without said muzzle device?  If so, it will be pinnned and the holes welded over.    

If the barrel is a "Post-Ban" compliant when you bought it, it will most likely be pined, as rules did not allow for removable muzzle device to leave you with a readily threaded muzzle,  it  would have made for 3rd evil feature, wheen 2 were actually allowed.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#12]
no it's not less than 16" without the muzzle brake. I stuck a cleaning rod down through the muzzle to where it touched the bolt. It measured 18.25 inches. Looking more closely it does look like it has been pinned and then welded, you can kinda see a small circular spot. Can I just drill the pin out? or should I have some one else do this?
xxxx
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top